sciencechick asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

How do I start and maintain a 10 gallon tank?

I have a 10 gallon tank and an older filter from someone. I haven't looked at it yet, but they said it was a decent filter with a biological filter and some other thing you have to refill. How do I go about starting it, and how do I maintain it? I want something super-hardy so I want to keep it as simple as possible, but I do want to do it right.

Is it OK if I don't use substrate? I don't want to worry about the frog eating it and I want the tank to be as easy to clean as possible. Will it still cycle this way or will I have trouble with ammonia?

I want to get one African Clawed Frog (I would really prefer this to a bunch of dwarf frogs since the are supposed to be hardier). From just about everything I have read 10 gallons is OK for one frog.

I also have a heater automatically set to 76oF, is this too warm for the frog? The room it is kept in can get chilly. I will probably use it and keep an eye on it make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Any tips specific to ACFs?

• Josh
    Favorite Answer

No, 76 should be fine. I have a growafrog and he is at room temperature. Those frogs are awesome. I have big pebbles things in his tank, which he has never eaten. Okay, I would change all of the filter media. The carbon bag and that stuff. Okay, once you do that if you are turn the filter on and heater. now let the tank sit for 2 weeks, so bacteria grows, which turns ammonia into nitrites and then nitrates. Do a 20% water change around every 2 weeks. Well, if you are adding fish danios are hardy fish. Guppies are hardy too. Hope I helped!