How do I start and maintain a 10 gallon tank?

I have a 10 gallon tank and an older filter from someone. I haven't looked at it yet, but they said it was a decent filter with a biological filter and some other thing you have to refill. How do I go about starting it, and how do I maintain it? I want something super-hardy so I want to keep it as simple as... show more I have a 10 gallon tank and an older filter from someone. I haven't looked at it yet, but they said it was a decent filter with a biological filter and some other thing you have to refill. How do I go about starting it, and how do I maintain it? I want something super-hardy so I want to keep it as simple as possible, but I do want to do it right.

Is it OK if I don't use substrate? I don't want to worry about the frog eating it and I want the tank to be as easy to clean as possible. Will it still cycle this way or will I have trouble with ammonia?

I want to get one African Clawed Frog (I would really prefer this to a bunch of dwarf frogs since the are supposed to be hardier). From just about everything I have read 10 gallons is OK for one frog.

I also have a heater automatically set to 76oF, is this too warm for the frog? The room it is kept in can get chilly. I will probably use it and keep an eye on it make sure it doesn't get too warm.

Any tips specific to ACFs?
1 answer 1