jay asked in Food & DrinkEthnic Cuisine · 1 decade ago

Chinese meal portions?

Ok, so I'm going on a student trip to China this summer for about three weeks. I was wondering though, I'm a picky eater, though the most of the thing is, I just eat smaller portions.

I'm aware that it wont be like Italy. But, compared to the average portion of an american meal, what size is the average Chinese? If I were to do a home-stay for a few days, would the people be insulted if I wasn't the biggest eater?I'm Vegetarian as well, so ...I mean, I like tofu, but do they normally have that in Chinese houses or restaurants?

Favorite Answer

A personal portion is not as big as the American standard. However, dinner and actually most meals are done family style. So it's several dishes in the middle of the table and you just take what you want. And everyone has their bowl of rice. Most meals will have a balance of everything. There will be a meat dish, a vegetable dish or two, some seafood or fish. It all depends on where you'll be. But the common tradition there is to have a balance of foods. There is always tofu at restaurants. If you're not the biggest eater, that's ok. Just try to taste everything except for the meat dishes since you're vegetarian. But don't be surprised if they keep trying to feed you. It's just the way it is. Just make sure your guide explains it to the family. Lots of Chinese are vegetarians, too or if they're buddhist, will understand your vegetarianism.

Actually china is a great country to be in. The food may vary depending on the dish you order. But for an average meal size should be about 3/4 of an American meal. They sell smelly tofu at some eating house but it might take some time getting used to.

LOL... Chinese people eat home style meals normally. They have a bunch of dishes to choose from and it is a bit offensive to not eat if it's offered to you. I wouldn't worry too much though. Normally Chinese people eat in big groups so people don't pay much attention. There's tofu but this isn't a main staple in the Chinese diet. We normally eat veggies that have been stir fried, steamed, or grilled. If you're that picky, I would go to one of the grocery stores and stock up on some things you can eat. Beware of cookies though! The humidity in China makes them mush after opening a package within hours so don't buy too many things like that.

The portions will be smaller, look at how big Americans are compared to Chinese. Unless you have a great translator it will be hard to identify vegetarian foods.

Like America, large cities will accustom various diets, smaller towns and villiages will be harder.

An American small is usually the equivalent of a medium or large in other countries. That's why people in this country are so fracking fat. (I.E. I got a small smoothie from Arctic Circle once and it was practically the size of my face -- enough for 4-5 normal servings!)

well depends which part of CHina you are going.. Each provence have differnt style of food. Chinesse food are small in size, some are very good and some bad.

Source(s): Imm from Hong KOng

Stir fry veggies with maybe king prawns - or chow mein, again with the prawns. By far and away the lowest in points on WW programme!