My dad has an OLD stock Cert he bought as a kid. How do I check the price & sell? ?

As a teen, my dad bought $700 in stock of

Great Northern Paper Company which looks like it was bought by

Great Northern Nekoosa Corporation which looks like it was bought by

Georgia-Pacific Corp. in March.

How do I figure out what this worth and how does he sell it?

1 Answer

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    You need to contact the transfer agent of the old publicly traded shares of GP to confirm that the shares you hold still have value (it is possible that they were liquidated in a bankruptcy or that you don't have the history right)

    GP is a privately held corporation now, so it does not have a transfer agent itself. As such and you are correct about the past ownership of the company you have stock in, you can not sell it. Your shares have been converted to the publicly held GP which would then be liquidated with his signature and he would be mailed a check.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.