Problem with Access Point?

I am having a problem with a Dlink dwl-8200ap. It seems as if the laptops are connecting to the Access point, but then the access point is not giving the laptops an IP through the DHCP. Everything is setup as dynamic, so I don't think that is the problem. All the Wireless drivers are up to date and so is the AP's firmware.

Anyone know why the access point says I am connected but really it doesn't give me an IP?

Best Answer

An access point is just a radio, it doesn't give out IP addresses. That's the job of the router you have to connect the access point to. If you have no router, the first computer will get your external IP address. The second one to connect, depending on a few factors, will either not connect, or will disconnect the first one. You can have only 1 computer connected to an internet connection without a router.

Run Ipconfig from the command prompt on your computer, if you have no IP address, then your AP is the problem. Maybe a reboot?

• Dement

access point is connected to a router in some way right? you can't bypass the router.

you'd use an access point to create another wireless signal (connected by wire to the router).