Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

linear algebra: motivation for matrix multiplication ?

I have been studying linear algebra out of a proof-based text, and it has thus far offered much insight into matrices, such as the fundamentals upon which determinants have been established. The only problem that I have is that it has not given me a reason for WHY matrix multiplication is defined the way that it is. I would like to know the motivation behind defining matrix multiplication in the way that it is defined.

• JB
    Favorite Answer

It is natural to describe the function F:R^2 ->R^2 that carries (x,y) to (ax+by, cx+dy) by the matrix

[ a b ]

[ c d ]

and the function G:R^2 ->R^2 that carries (x,y) to (ex + fy, gx + hy) by the matrix:

[ e f ]

[ g h ]

What would the matrix for the composition (GoF)R^2 -> R^2, defined by

(GoF)(x,y) = G(F(x,y))? Well, it would be nice to denote it symbolically by

[ e f ] [ a b ]

[ g h] [ c d ] ..... ..... ..... ...(*)

But you can do the algebra and figure out that

G(F(x,y)) = G((ax+by, cx+dy)) = (e(ax+by) + f(cx+dy), g(ax+by) + h(cx+dy)) = ((ea+fc)x + (eb+fd)y, (ga+hc)x + (gb+hd)y)

But the matrix of that is

[ (ea+fc) (eb+fd) ]

[ (ga+hc) (gb+hd) ] ..... ..... ..... ..... (**)

So we better define the product of the matices (*) above as this matrix (**).

In short, matrix multiplication is defined the way it is so that matrix multiplication will work consistently with composition of linear transformations.