Does carseat fit in an airplane?

My man is in Fort Lewis, Washington for training before he goes over seas, and hes flying me and my daughter out to see him. Shes only 2 months, so she still requires the infant seat. I have the Graco Deco version, to me its seems a little bigger then most infant carriers. Does anyone happen to know if it will fit in an airplane ? My biggest fear is that it wont!

Favorite Answer

I'm a former Flight Attendant and I fly a lot with my three children. I have used and seen a lot of car seats and I actually never saw one off-loaded because it was too big. I will admit that I flew on the bigger aircraft but infant bucket-style seats never are a problem.

Virtually all recommend that you leave the base at home. If you wont be gone that long, you may want to simply do the seatbelt installation while away. It's as safer, or could even be safer than using the base, if done right. Get out the manual and practice the seatbelt installation before leaving.

Here is the link to the FAA site which shows what the approval sticker lookes like. Most car seats sold in the U.S. are FAA approved for flying. Know where it is if asked (if it's rubbed or fallen off, contact the manufacter for a replacement-I had to once).

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

You could measure the seat and find out what the width of the airplane seats are but that's not very accurate. Since you'll be next to her, you wont mind her seat "spilling" over a bit and you can jiggle the armrests to get it in. So even if it measures bigger than the aircraft seat, don't panic! I'm sure it'll work.

Don't carry the seat through the airport (and kill your back doing so). Either snap it into your travel system or get a stroller frame so you can simply push it.

You can take the stroller or frame to the gate. Remember this doesn't usually count against your baggage allowance but check. Make sure the tag goes somewhere that wont be squished or hidden when the stroller is folded. Bring a bungee cord to double-secure your stroller after you leave it at the door of the aircraft. This will prevent it from getting damaged if it pops open en route.

Make sure your baby is safely strapped in for take-off and landing. These are the (hate using this wording but...) the most dangerous parts of the flight. It's very important that she is safe in the seat.

Many flying tips will say to make the baby suck during take-off and landing to help their ears. This is inaccurate. The baby can drink or suck at any time after take-off. Please let her sleep if she nods off during this time. ENT specialists recommend that the baby be awake about an hour before landing (not necessarily drinking). Landing or "touch down" is too late.

http://www.entcda.com/AAOHNSF/earsandaltitude.htm

Just some extra tips;

-Bring about 1/3 more supplies than you think you'll need, formula, diapers, wipes, etc.

-Bring a change of clothes for both of you (at least a T and shorts for you)

-wrap everything bulky, like clothes and extra diapers in plastic bags, and use rubber bands to reduce the bulk and save space in your carry-on

-If you formula feed, use the kind of bottles with plastic liners. Premeasure the powder, roll them up and put them in a ziplock bag. Airplane bathrooms have bad sinks for washing traditional bottles.

-Make sure you baby is used to a room-temperature bottle. I warmed many a bottle in my career but I saw first-hand what a pain it is. The baby isn't getting any health-advantage to the warmed bottle and no one will do this task while you're in the security or check-in line.

-I recommend bulkhead just because it's easier to get in and out of them with a little one.

About 8 years ago, I wrote an article on the subject of flying with children for a local newsletter. On the web, all the information I found was written by people who had never worked directly for the airlines. I wanted to promote the use of car seats on aircraft for both safety and comfort. I have more tips so feel free to visit;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com/

If your man is in the military, I wish him all the best in his tour overseas and hope he comes home safely soon enough!

Have a good visit with him!

Source(s): Former Flight Attendant, 13 years, 2 companies, almost all long-haul international 3 children, now ages 9, 6 & 4, flying since each was 4 months old, between Europe and California about twice a year plus other shorter flights in between, regularily scheduled, low cost, charter, etc.

Check with the airline. Most have a rule that under 2 yrs rides free as a "lap child" but every airline has different rules about what this means. For some, it means no carseat in the seat at all, for others it means you can bring the carseat and put it in the seat next to you strapped in if there is room on the flight. Other airlines tell you if you want your child in a seat at all, carseat or not, you have to pay for a ticket. Some airlines discount the child seat too. All in all it absolutely doesn't seem safe to me to hold my baby on my lap for the flight - what if there is turbulence?

Emma,

At the airport we look for the sticker on the back of the car seat. It must be ok'd by the FAA. Also and very important....there is a expiration date under that notification. The airlines must conform with that guideline as well. Call your airline and call the manufacturer of your seat to make sure. Best of Luck Emma!

Only FAA approved car seats are allowed on airplanes. Look on the stickers on the car seat or in the booklet that came with it and see if it is FAA approved. If it is, it should fit. If it is the kind with the base, you would have to remove the base to use it on a plane. If you cannot find the info on the seat or in the booklet, look on Graco's website and find the model number to see if it is FAA approved. Model number is on the back or underside of the seat.

Call the airline and ask.