why is it that when you say hello to someone, they usually say it back?

i always say hi to people, but i expect them to say nothing, but look at me strangly. so everytime i say hi, i make sure that i am speaking faster then them, so they don't say anything back,

is that weird?

Favorite Answer

thats funny,

i like your name thats my name too!

JOHN JACOB JINGLEHIMER SHMITT!!

im hyper,

YOU ROCK!

• Engaro

I would guess that it is such a habit for people to respond when someone says hello that they just do it automatically. While they'reresponding, they're probably thinking, "Do I know this guy? He seems to know me, so I'll say hi so I don't look like a jerk that doesn't remember him..." Of course all this is going through their head in mere seconds.

If you say hi to someone very quickly while passing them they might be more confused about your behaviour than about the fact that you said "hi". They might not even properly hear what you said....so some might say hi back, while others might act confused.

I think what you're doing might be a little bit weird, but at the same time it's an interesting observational experiment (though not a real experiment because there are no controls).

Is it weird for someone to say hi back, no its just nice and friendly so don't think that it is weird that people say hi back, they might think you are a nice person to stop and say hi it makes a person feel good inside

I have no idea what you mean. Do you want them to say hello back, or not? Surely it's a good thing if they do? Why would you speak fast to prevent them saying hello?

• me

I think you're weird. If someone says Hi you're supposed to acknowledge it and say Hi or hello back.

I think it's because when they don't see the hello coming that's the first thing that comes to mind, if they do know your going to say it they probably won't say hello, or they will and just say 'how are you' next to it.

hahaha its not weird its umm.....unusual. haha I would just say that people do that becuase its a sign of good manners and dont try to speak fast...it may sound realy funny.....give the people a chance to say HI!

Bye~~

• Lester

well, it is a little weird. They say Hi back because it is rude not to.

because you said Hello, what do you want them to say? nothing at all of F off?

Its just uncommon, that's all. Honestly I don't think most people would just want to look at you strangely. It is all common courtesy.

I don't know. I guess they think if they don't answer it is rude. I think you should let them say hi back. Be friendly! :)