Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetSoftware · 1 decade ago

Anyone using Spybot-Search & Destroy? ?

A few weeks ago i just got an update on this program and it downloaded a thing called "teatimer.exe". everytime i was gonna turn off my com..a window will appear and it ask me wether i want to terminate the program "teatimer.exe" or not. jsut these days it kept happening to me. if i choose "end now" will my computer spoiled if i do it all times?

• i♥u2
    Favorite Answer

TeaTimer, which is a tool use by Spybot that monitors the any attempts to change the Windows registry. This is to prevent malwares from installing itself behind your back.

Windows registry is a database use by Windows Operating System.

Usually, no program are suppose to change the registry except when you install a new software or hardware.

The reason why Spybot monitor registry changes is because many spyware and trojan modify the registry to run the spyware & trojan automatically when Windows/internet explorer start up.

If you detect some programs are trying to change the registry but you are not installing new software or hardware. It means that a spyware or trojan is trying to infect your system. You should deny changes so that the spyware or trojan cannot run automatically when you start your windows.

You can turn it off by aenable the advance mode and go to Tools -> Resident -> untick Tea Timer.

Source(s): I like spybot because I found that it is a better strategy than other anti-malwares. Instead of trying to keep the virus/trojan/spyware/adware signatures up-to-date ( impossible task because new one keep appearing ) Spybot try to stop UNKNOWN malwares from infecting your system by using teatimer to deny unauthorise changes to registry.

TeaTimer is the resident(active) protection. This message appears because it has been badly updated. Go here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/ and download (as in Save, not Run) the installer to your pc, uninstall your present S-S&D from Add/Remove Programs, reboot, install it using the file you downloaded and update it again.

yea uninstall spybot and then install new version of it, ok then at the last step of installing uncheck the teatimer button.

yes, about using Spybot-Search and Destroy you can read in http://wikipediawiki.org/computers-internet/?q=usi...