Poll: Women Only: Why are you voting for McCain?

Be honest.

Best Answer

The Importance of Succeeding

John McCain believes it is strategically and morally essential for the United States to support the Government of Iraq to become capable of governing itself and safeguarding its people. He strongly disagrees with those who advocate withdrawing American troops before that has occurred.

It would be a grave mistake to leave before Al Qaeda in Iraq is defeated and before a competent, trained, and capable Iraqi security force is in place and operating effectively. We must help the Government of Iraq battle those who provoke sectarian tensions and promote a civil war that could destabilize the Middle East. Iraq must not become a failed state, a haven for terrorists, or a pawn of Iran. These likely consequences of America's failure in Iraq almost certainly would either require us to return or draw us into a wider and far costlier war.

The best way to secure long-term peace and security is to establish a stable, prosperous, and democratic state in Iraq that poses no threat to its neighbors and contributes to the defeat of terrorists. When Iraqi forces can safeguard their own country, American troops can return home.

Support the Successful Counterinsurgency Strategy

John McCain has been a leading advocate of the “surge” and the counterinsurgency strategy carried out by General David Petraeus. At the end of 2006, four years of a badly conceived military strategy that concentrated American troops on large bases brought us near to the point of no return. Sectarian violence in Iraq was spiraling out of control. Al Qaeda in Iraq was on the offensive. Entire provinces were under extremists’ control and were deemed all but lost. At that critical moment, John McCain supported sending reinforcements to Iraq to implement a classic counterinsurgency strategy of securing the population.

That strategy has paid off. From June 2007 through March 2008, sectarian and ethnic violence in Iraq was reduced by 90 percent. Civilian deaths and deaths of coalition forces fell by 70 percent. This has opened the way for a return to something that approaches normal political and economic life for the average Iraqi. Political reconciliation is occurring across Iraq at the local and provincial grassroots level. Sunni and Shi'a chased from their homes by terrorist and sectarian violence are returning. The "Sons of Iraq" and Awakening movements, where former Sunni insurgents have now joined in the fight against Al Qaeda, continue to grow.

Those gains would be lost if we were to follow the policy advocated by Senator Barack Obama to withdraw most of our troops and leave behind only a small “strike force” to battle terrorists. That is, in essence, the same strategy of withdrawing from Iraq’s streets that failed in 2006. John McCain advocates continuing the successful counterinsurgency strategy that began in 2007.

Push for Political Reconciliation and Good Government

Thanks to the success of the surge, Iraq's political order is evolving in positive and hopeful ways. Four out of the six laws cited as benchmarks by the U.S. have been passed by the Iraqi legislature. A law on amnesty and a law rolling back some of the harsher restrictions against former employees of the Iraqi government have made it possible for Iraqis to move toward genuine reconciliation. The legislature has devolved greater power to local and provincial authorities, where much of the real work of rebuilding Iraq is taking place.

More progress is necessary. The government must improve its ability to serve all Iraqis. A key test for the Iraqi government will be finding jobs in the security services and the civilian sector for the “Sons of Iraq” who have risked so much to battle terrorists.

Iraq will conduct two landmark elections in the near future – one for provincial governments in late 2008 and the other for the national government in 2009. John McCain believes we should welcome a larger United Nations role in supporting the elections. The key condition for successful elections is for American troops to continue to work with brave Iraqis to allow the voting to take place in relative freedom and security. Iraqis need to know that the U.S. will not abandon them, but will continue to press their politicians to show the necessary leadership to help develop their country.

Get Iraq's Economy Back on its Feet

John McCain believes that economic progress is essential to sustaining security gains in Iraq. Markets that were once silent and deserted have come back to life in many areas, but high unemployment rates continue to fuel criminal and insurgent violence. To move young men away from the attractions of well-funded extremists, we need a vibrant, growing Iraqi economy. The Iraqi government can jump-start this process by using a portion of its budget surplus to employ Iraqis in infrastructure projects and in restoring basic services.

The international community should bolster proven microfinance programs to spur loc

I'm not exactly gung-ho about either choice, but between the two, I'm voting for McCain. I'm from Chicago and don't see any evidence of this "change" Obama keeps talking about. If there's anything that needs changing, it's the dirty, corrupt, Chicago political machine. He was knee-deep in that for years, and could have shown proof of the transcendent figure he's pretending to be. He's talks a good game, but ultimately, I think he's one of those people who promises the moon and can't deliver. My vote is not so much for McCain as it is against Obama.

The Fact IS that because of Obama's 2 years of political experience versus McCain's 25 years of political experience--- Obama will NEVER be President.--- As you said, McCain IS a true American Hero who suffered for our Country in a P.O.W. camp 2 1/2 X the number of years that Obama has been in Congress. Obama IS a disgrace to our Country.---If the world now demands that an election be based upon race or gender ---PLEASE have Condi Rice as MCCain's running mate.--I would vote for that intelligent, experienced, honest, qualified black woman in a heartbeat because my vote would be based upon MERIT not upon the fact that Condi is Black & Female.

• Jenny

Because I saw a touch of the Obamanations corruption during the primaries..and in truth I still considered voting Obama after Hillarys moving speach..but as time move on..and I listened to him talk about people of faith as people who cling to their guns and religon.....

Look...I'm an independent...so I typically go whichever way I think will UNITE people..not turn person against person. Obama preys on peoples prejudices...their fears and hopes...and uses it to divide us.

All ready CNN preaches 24 7 that if Obama doesn't win..we are all a bunch of racists....

As any typical independent I want someone who brings us together not drives us apart....Obama divides us.....McCain...all though not exactly a uniter..has never once called dems baby killing..whatever you would call them.....

The point is....Obama seems to have it IN for ANYONE who celebrates religon...and even though I don't typically vote based on religon..I can't respect someone who doesn't respect my choice.

• cmg

Found this interesting how only one person "who I take it just copied and pasted her answer" could even give a decent reason why they are voting for McCain.

Because I think women should have twenty children and I think poor people should suffer. Also, brown people terrify me!

Oh wait, I'm not an asshole, and I'm *not* voting for McCain!

Because I think that Obama is a moronic pretty-boy who shouldn't have got the nom. in the first place.

• Because i trust him more than a person that calls caucasians "Typical white people".

He's dreamy!

cos obama is racist towards indians?!??