Subaru question for owners!?

So im trying to decide between some cars on what to own as a track car. Mainly between a miata and a wrx for canyon weekend rides, and once a month track events. Since this is the WRX area, i had some indepth questions about owning a WRX. Thanks in advance for your answers =)

- WRX is obviously a AWD car, now does switching the tires happen pretty often if you take the car out for weekend rides and once a month track events? Would you consider it an expensive part of owning a WRX?

- I'm not to familiar with AWD cars and what to do if the car starts to understeer into spinning out, or oversteer. From what i heard, countersteering is no recommended because it will really throw the WRX into a wall. What is your take on it?

- The WRX is good on sticking to the ground, but does it really keep glued down more then a RWD car?

- Do you really have to drop it at 4k-5k rpm to have a good launch? If so doesnt that hurt the trany really bad?

- How is the overall maintenance for the WRX? From a starters point of view, i see the AWD as an expensive car to maintain due to switching all four tires, and or the clutch or any other parts.

- Any pet peeves with the WRX?

Again. thanks for looking =)

Favorite Answer

Dude... Nice set of questions, let me try to answer them all. First of congrats on being able to afford a car just for fun! It must be nice!

I'll hit your qestions one by one:

- Tires. I've found rubber consumption to be about the same on my STI as other sporty cars I've owned. That said, driving hard in a high power car eats soft tires fast, it's just a fact of life. I replace my summer tires every 2 years and typically buy new tires for about $400-$500 (for all 4) plus mounting and balancing ($60)

- Handling. Pretty much all cars understeer from the factory. They do it as a safty measure. This characteristic can be removed from a WRX with the use of sway bars. In general AWD gives you many options on how to handle a hot corner (counter steering, power through and drift etc). AWD is more forgiving than RWD and is generally thought of as safer.

-Handling question 2. In a word "yes". Professional drivers can usually get better performance out of RWD race cars on the track, but that's generally because of weight (AWD adds some pounds). On real roads I think the WRC racing series proves without a doubt that AWD cars are faster. Look for some WRC clips on youtube.

-Launch. ACK! No, you don't have to do that. All that will do is spin all 4 wheels and kill your transmission. AWD is great because it hooks up right away with no tires spin, why would you spin the tires on purpose and wreck that great advanatage? The WRX and STI are fast, you don't need to do anything stupid to make them more so.

- I've found maintenance to be exactly the same as on any other car. I've aways replaced all 4 tires at once even with FWD and AWD cars. It's exaclty the same, rotate your tires and change them all when they are done. I've never, ever, ever had to do one maintenance item that I wouldn't have had to do on any other turbo sports car. I've found clutch life to be great (I've never had to change one yet, 100,000 miles on my car). Subarus are very reliable.

- Pet Peeves. Hmmm... Not really. The paint isn't of the best quality I guess.... I pretty much love my car.

I think if you are looking more for a weekend fun car and really only going to track is once in a while, the WRX is a great choice. But if the tracking is something you take seriously, the Miata will be more competitive with fewer mods. It will also make you a much better driver in the long run. The WRX does understeer ans most cars are designed to do so from the factory for safety. It can easily be fixed with a good set of springs and a fatter rear sway bar but a rear sway can put you in a higher class if you autocross. I love mu WRX in the mountains. Is grips like crazy if you have a good suspension set up and a good set of tires. When you do sense a little under steer, you wand to keep on the gas and jerk the steering wheel a little further into the turn. Probably not good to say thay but you will learn over time how to control the car. It's really an easy car to drive. That's why I said the Miata will make you a better driver. I guess it comes down to what your needs and wants really are. Maintenance is no different than any other car. Check oil regularly and change after any track event. Launching is a cool feeling if you do it right but the tranny in the Non STI's are a little on the weak side so they can break if abused. If it's an STI you are thinking about, they have a bulletproof tranny designed by Porsche than will handle way above 500ft/lbs of torque to the wheels.

1) WRX tires are pretty cheap. You can get good performance tires under $600 a set. Just a benefit of having tiny little narrow wheels. It's always a good idea to have track tires and street tires. Keep in mind all tires must be within 10% tread of each other or you will damage your car.

2) Sorry, never been in that situation, but I've never heard of anyone not trying to correct the steering.

3) Not really, it's just easier to use.

4) Yes. And yes it does. Hence the term "exploding into gear."

5) Regular car maintenance costs... nothing unusual.

6) The gas mileage does not match the performance. There are 300-400+ hp cars out there doing 30mpg highway, and you're lucky to get 24 out of the WRX. AWD is a big drawback in this case.

I pretty much agree with Michael, except I don't know which Subaru you are talking about. There is a 2.5i wagon for the Outback, Legacy and Impreza. I can talk about the Outback from experience and the Legacy by similarity. The passenger space is identical, but you will find the access to the rear section via a hatch a lot more convenient than using a trunk. I found that I gut just what the window sticker said as far as mileage, including 28-30 MPG on the highway and 22-23 MPG around town. I do not believe the car is a California-certified ULEV (Ultra Low Emission Vehicle), as the Honda's are. ( do see the claim, "Meets the strictest emissions standards for gasoline engines when equipped to meet the California Partial Zero Emission Vehicle standard, although I have no idea what that means.) The Legacy and Outback are very safe cars in both accident avoidance and crash safety, as they are rated tops in crash safety by NHTSA and IIHS, so this will help keep your insurance rates down, but we have no way of knowing what YOU will have to pay. I like the car very much. I am in the very weird position of having bought two Outbacks in less than a year. I just had to get the 6-cylinder. However, instead of trading in the 2.5i, I passed it on to my 33 year old daughter. I was very happy with the car and very confident in its safety and other attributes so that I knew she would not be getting "stuck" with a lousy car. I think the 2.5i Outback is an excellent car. I think the 3.0 is a better one, but the 2.5i is still an excellent car. :-)