Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 1 decade ago

What are the average 2 year old's abilities?

How high should they be able to count?

Do they know ABC's?

How many words are in their vocabulary?

Should they be using 2-3 word sentences?

What is or was or 2 year old doing at that time?

Favorite Answer

How much will my child grow?

After a child's second birthday, the rate of growth continues to slow. Two-year-olds are very active and begin to lose the appearance of a baby. While all children may grow at a different rate, the following indicates the average for 2-year-old boys and girls:

Weight: average gain of about 4 to 6 pounds per year

Height: average growth of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch each month

What can my child do at this age?

As your child continues to grow, you will notice new and exciting abilities that develop. While children may progress at different rates, the following are some of the common milestones your child may reach in this age group:

walks and runs well

may jump awkwardly

begins to throw, kick, and catch balls

can stand momentarily on one foot

climbs on playground structures

turns doorknobs and lids

begins to ride a tricycle

builds towers of 10 blocks by 3 years old

all 20 teeth appear by 3 years old

appetite decreases greatly

has developed right- or left-handedness by 3 years old

turns pages in a book, one at a time

has good thumb and finger control

can drink through a straw

begins to have bladder and bowel control

may still take one afternoon nap

may sleep 10 to 12 hours at night

What can my child say?

Speech development is very exciting for parents as they watch their children become social beings that can interact with others. Speech at this age is becoming clearer and the child begins to form sentences. While every child develops speech at his/her own rate, the following are some of the common milestones in this age group:

says about 200 to 300 words

begins to put three words together (subject, verb, object), for example "Me want ball"

names pictures

may name some body parts

What does my child understand?

While children may progress at different rates, the following are some of the common milestones children may reach in this age group:

understands possession, "Mine"

can tell his/her own age and name

knows if he/she is a boy or girl

counts up to three objects

may begin to problem solve

How does my child interact with others?

While every child is unique and will develop different personalities, the following are some of the common behavioral traits that may be present in your child:

is negative and says "no" frequently

temper tantrums may continue

helps to get him/herself dressed and undressed

shows independence from parents

continues to play along side others without interacting, called parallel play

acts as if other children are objects or toys

does not understand sharing

How to help increase your child's learning and emotional security:

Consider the following as ways to foster the emotional security of your 2-year-old:

Let your child have a choice when possible: for example, say, "Do you want a banana or an orange?"

Let your child help around the house, such as dusting, sweeping, or sorting laundry.

Read picture and story books with your child.

Help your child learn to wash his/her hands.

Let your child try to take off his/her own clothes and put on some simple clothes (i.e., clothes without buttons or zippers).

Let your child play with blocks, balls, crayons, and/or clay. Supervise play so that your child does not put objects in his/her mouth, ears, etc.

Sing songs, play children's music, and dance with your child.

Look at family pictures with your child and tell a story.

Make cut-outs in a large cardboard box to pretend it is a house or car.

Use toys during bath time; have fun pouring water from one cup to another.

Let your child talk on a toy phone, or say a few words while you are talking on a real phone.

Play "follow the leader" games.

Teach body parts while dressing and bathing.

Let your child put stickers on paper to make a design.

Count things out loud to teach your child about numbers (i.e., count eggs in the carton, stairs as you go up, or fingers and toes).

Play with soap bubbles.

Use toys that sort shapes such as a circle, square, or triangle.

Give your child a doll or teddy bear.

Read your child a book of rhymes.

Give your child a toy to ride.

• Ktloop

how long is a piece of string .....

This will vary hugely from child to child.

My daughter was 2 on monday, she can count to 5,

knows a couple of letters but not really stringing the alphabet together yet

she is learning about 3 new words a day at the moment, she has maybe 100 words in vocab ????

She has started to use 2 words together, and occasionally 3- where daddy, where daddy gone, etc

hope this helps

My daughter loved to draw, color, and write or what she would call writing , since she learned to hold a crayon or pencil. But she was average in it. That means my other daughters drawing and all my nieces and nephews were about the same. She just spent more time doing it and became good at it. She took art in school, but so did my other daughter. She took art in college, but no further. I kept most of her drawings. It is my pride and joy. If you feel that your child has some talent in this I suggest that you find other parents with the same age as your child and compare notes. No a three year old in my op onion does not use a lot of detail. Sometimes you can't tell what it is. I agree with above. Post a drawing for us to view.

My best friend's two year old can....

Say his ABC's

Count to 10 in English, Spanish, and Korean

Spell his name

Tell you his mother's and father's real names

Tell you his complete address

Speak in full sentences

My two year old niece...

Knows her colors

Knows about half of her ABC's

Can count to ten in English

Speak in 2-3 word sentences

I think it depends on the child and how much the parents work with them.

Sometimes kids are higher in one area (like gross motor skills) and lower in others (like verbal). Often it is boys that are the "movers" and girls that are more verbally inclined, though it doesn't have to be that way. My daughter, who is 21 months, can recognize all letters in the alphabet, say most colors and numbers to 10 and is speaking in simple sentences. Sometimes we are the only ones who can understand longer sentences, but she is speaking to convey meaning. However, she was quite slow to walk and crawl....so it varies greatly and each child is different. It's sort of like personalities and there isn't really a one size fits all thing!

my daughter who is two can count to thirteen.

.

can recite abc but then will say e

can say long sentences with a full vocabulary. but still talks nonsense when tired at end of day.

she can point out the letters ,s, t, o,a and e. in books and tell me what they are. she recognises her name in print.

can colour in pictures but still goes over the edge. but will for example choose one colour for a face and only use that colour there

she knows most of her colours now.

but all children develop at different speeds my son was slower.

go to this site http://www.babycenter.com/ it will tell you everything you need to know