what are some of your favorite holiday traditions?

the holidays are coming up!! what are some of your favorite traditions? it can be any holiday. it can be halloween, thanksgiving, christmas, hanukkah (did i spell it right), kwanzaa (again, did i spell it right?), anything! it doesn't even have to be in this season! it can be easter, st. patrick's day, v-day, whatever! just think what you and your family do every year that makes you look forward to the holidays.

i just enjoy thanksgiving because my family always comes to my house and my uncle does the best pumpkin pie ever! and then we all just gather around the table and give our thanks and then when we're finished we get up and dance and fall asleep like at 3 in the morning or even later. my whole family sleeps over my house. the next day we don't go shopping, we get set up for christmas!! all of my cousins are like 15 and younger so they all get excited we start cleaning the house with christmas music on and just start setting up the christmas tree. it's so much fun. i'm 19 and i love spending this day with my 16 year-old sister and all of my younger cousins and my aunt and mom help us too. it's like we all take a day off and just decide to spend that day together.

and then on christmas eve everyone comes to my house again always around 6 at night. my mom with help of my aunts and uncle start cooking a big meal for all of us. we dance to spanish christmas music and then at around 1130 p.m we start reading the novena [its this book we read at our house nine days before christmas. it tells us the story of jose and maria and how they went to bethlehem and tells how baby jesus was born] then we wait until 12:00 midnight and then we start opening our presents. but we don't get up and start opening ours. somebody sits by the christmas tree and picks a present and reads their name outlouad and gives them their present. we all wait to hear our names and then open our presents. when we're all done we dance and drink some more until we pass out until the next day when we wake up to our aunts cooking us breakfast. and i love the smell of the morning after christmas and just watching my cousins playing with their new toys. its just a beautiful feeling.

i want you guys to share yours with me. so just write them down. i don't care how long it is i will read them all i promise. i think it's pretty cool reading other peoples different traditions

Favorite Answer

Here are some of my family traditions:

My whole family takes toys, food, and house hold items to the Ronald McDonald House Charities every year.

My kids make a ornament for the tree

I bake cookies with my kids

My kids pick a charity angel and help pick out gifts for them

We all decorate our tree and house together and drink hot chocolate and listen to Christmas music while we decorate.

Some of my favorite holiday traditions include: decorating the tree and our home for Christmas (Thanksgiving weekend), making a gingerbread house, sipping eggnog, watching Christmas movies and a big lavish breakfast following the opening of presents on Christmas morning! Can't wait! =)

my 3 favorite holidays are; thanksgiving, christmas, and 4th of july (b/c its my b-day :D, but i dont feel like getting into that. its just like a normal b-day but w/ a parade in the morning and fireworks @ night and relatives)

i love thanksgiving so much because everyone is excited, and my dad gets the day off work (he's a workaholic). We usually get up around 8-9 and act like its a normal day of break, just eating typical food, although sometimes my mom will make breakfast for us. then i sit down at the couch with my dad and sometimes brothers and watch the macys parade all the way through, and then as soon as its over my dad switches it to football. i usually go to the computer or read or play games with my mom (my bros don't have any holiday spirit). Sometimes i even watch football with my dad, even though i don't see much of a point in it. then around 4 we drive to my aunt and uncles house (we bring the pies, so my mom works on those during the day) and chill out with relatives. i don't really know any of the kids, the only time i see them is thanksgiving. and last year we didnt even go b/c it was my bros 16th b-day party. then we have a big meal of turkey and potatoes and beans and some other gross food my relatives cook up which i dont eat. the desserts are also never that great, there's only pie and chocolate cake, neither of which i like. so i don't like the party part that much, but i do enjoy the day in general :D

christmas is about the best time of year ever. it is :D. on christmas eve we all hang around in the morning, the time seeming to be going in slow motion. around 6 we have a seafood/pasta meal and then sit around the fire talking. me and my bros each open our gifts from one another. Then my mom fills the thermos with hot chocolate made over the stove and we change into PJs, grab our mugs, and pile into the car. then we drive all over the county looking at people's christmas lights. when we finally get home its about 8:30 and we make sure our stockings are nicely hung, a plate of cookies and milk are left out for santa, and then we just kinda sit around and talk, maybe read a christmas story, and then around 9:30 or ten we all go to bed. i wake up around 4 in the morning and go peek at the gifts and bulging stockings, then go back to bed trying to fall asleep, usually failing and winding up reading archies instead. then when it is finally 6 a.m. i wake up one of my bros and my parents, and me and my brother open our stockings while my rents and other bro work on getting up. then my rents have their coffee and if my bro is taking an especially long time, we eat breakfast. then we each claim a spot on the living room floor, my parents either on the couch or rocking chair, and beging opening gifts one at a time. then we watch christmas movies, play with our new things, and chat until 4:30 when we drive over to my stepgrandmas houses for food, relatives, and a couple more presents. all in all, its a great time. !!!

awesome traditions! i love the holidays, their so joyous :D :D :D

well we dont have a solid tradition on christmas but basically what we do is open half presents and have a dinner on christmas eve. and i love watching christmas movies like elf =]

the on christmas we wake up and have a big breakfast and open the rest of the presents and have a big fancy dinner at my aunts house=] i wish it was christmas already!!!!

well,every thanksgiving my family and i go to our cousins house, they're my/my sisters ages. we always have tons of fun there. then the next evening, we put up our christmas tree (obviously its fake). on christmas eve my sister and i exchange our gifts to each other.

on christmas morning my sister and i wake up, and then go wake up our grandma, who stays overnight. we go downstairs together and we'll open our stockings. we have to wait until our parents come down for the gifts, though. then we go to my cousins house again and we play in the snow. last year it was icy and we had a contest sliding down the hill!!! christmas is such an awesome holiday, everyone is so happy.

I love watching Christmas movies on Christmas Eve :]

I think my favorite holiday tradition is when on CHRISTMAS DAY WHEN EVERYONE OPENS 1 GIFT AT A TIME AND WE TAKE TURNS OPENING UP OUR GIFTS, INSTEAD OF TEARING INTO THE GIFTS LIKE ANIMALS, ON EASTER OUR FAMILY TRADION IS MY AUNTS FAMOUS EASTER SOUP A FAMILY RECIPE, MADE WITH EGGS AND CHEESE AND BUTTER, AND ON THANKSGIVING WE HAVE MY GREAT GREAT GRANMAS SECRET RECIPE CALLED CARMEL, SEET AND DELICIOUS HOMADE CARAMEL, AND ON YOUR 16TH BRITHDAY WE HAVE A TRADITION THAT LEADS BACK SINCE THE 1800S, WHEN ANYONE IN THE FAMILY TURNS 16 YEARS OF AGE, THAT SOMEONE FOR HIS OR HER BIRTHDAY, PICKS A TRIP TO ANYWHERE, ANYWHERE AROUND THE COUNTRY AND THE P-ARENTS PAY FOR IT, FOR 1 WEEK OR 2, I ASKED TO GO TO CALIFORNIA TO SEE THE STARS, AND ME AND MY PARENTS WENT, MY SON ASKED FOR A CRUISE TO SPAIN, I WENT WITH HIM, TOOK ALOT OF DOING, AND BEFORE THAT, IT WAS MY SIS TO CANADA, THEN, MY OTHER SIS TO NEWYORK, AND MY PARENTS TO A BEACH, AND BEFORE THAT IT WAS ALOT OF TRIPS, FOR HALOWEEN WE GIVE GIVE OUT STUFFED ANIMALS INSTEAD OF CANDY, SOME CANDY, BUT 10 TOYS TO THE BABIES, AND ON VALENTINES DAY, ALL THE WOMAN IN MY FAMILY GET FLOWERS,

• Maria

now I have to go put on Christmas music. [:

first off, I LOVE the holidays because it's so cheerful and everyone is in a good mood. It's truly the most wonderful time of the year [:

I don't believe in Santa in the sense that he's a big man that lives in the north pole with elves and makes every toy in the world, and delivers them to every house at exactly midnight on Christmas.

I do believe in the whole idea behind a Christmas figure that represents love, joy, happiness, etc. besides Jesus. [:

the day after thanksgiving, we start playing Christmas music in the house/car. (I listen to it whenever on my iPod, like now :D)

I start decorating my room in November, lol. I have lights and little decorations, and a little fake 2-ft tree. my friend and I made fabric countdown calendars from Dec 1 - Christmas day.

first week of December, we do outside decorations. sadly my dad loves those blow ups, so we have like 7 of them =/...Id be fine with 2. lol. I put lights around the porch roof, and set up the manger scene. we also have those deer and sleigh, with the white lights.

then I start inside. we get our tree about 2 weeks prior to Christmas, my mom and I decorate it. we get an 8 or 9 footer, and we LOAD it. we have so many ornaments from all of our family over the years. and like 5 strings of lights. heh.

here's our tree: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/murphdog_...

that's me with my long(er) hair. and I look 9-ish. hah I'm 15 though.

then I hang up stockings, here's the picture of our mantle from last year: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/murphdog_...

it's my grandmom, dad, mom, me, nick (bro); Anthony (bro), Kim (sis-in-law); Tasha (sis), Emma (niece), Sammie (niece), Dan (bro-in-law); Brian (bro), Cailin (niece), Erin (niece), Megan (niece), Heidi (sis-in-law); Rolly (bro), Margie (sis-in-law); Bebe (cat), and this year we have to add Nala, our kitten.

we're running out of room! we gave up on stocking holders; we just put nails in it.

then in our kitchen we have all this space above our cabinets. and my mom has about 30 snow globes, so I arrange them on top of the cabinets with batting and lights: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/murphdog_...

roughly what it looks like, but for some reason I didn't take a picture with the lights off, and on our main cabinets. it looks awesome though.

then I'm just constantly wrapping and making presents throughout December, I make presents for all of my siblings because I'm very crafty and I thinks it's more personal. they usually like food... [;

Christmas eve, a bunch of my family comes over for a late dinner, and we eat Oplatki (Christmas wafers) and honey. then my mom and I go to church with my sister and 2 nieces. we used to drive past the farmer near our house, his whole field would be decorated magnificently, it was roughly like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/christmas%20lig...

there was a Santa giving out little toys to the families with younger kids who drove by, there was Christmas music playing, it was such a tradition. sadly the farmer has gotten older, and doesn't do it anymore :[

when we get home, we each open one present, read the original The Night before Christmas, and go to bed. (well, my dad and I do, my mom stays up wrapping my presents [; )

Christmas morning, I get up and wait for my mom to get up (all my siblings have moved out. my single brother might stay the night Christmas Eve, though). then we open our stockings first, and then presents. around ten we're done, and my mom starts making egg's benedict. my neighbors come over, and my aunt and uncle. we all eat breakfast, and get ready for the rest of my huge family to come over for dinner.

they usually come around 3, and the girls help make dinner. we all gather in the kitchen/living room and chat until dinner. here's our dining room at Christmas: http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/murphdog_...

we have to bring in our kitchen table for my nieces and I, (we're not in the picture cause we finis heating pretty quick lol. there's usually a few people hanging around the kitchen.)

after dinner we congregate in the living room with Christmas tunes and presents, the tree is a mountain of gifts. for the older siblings we do a Pollyanna because that would just be way too expensive. (except for my home made gifts.) but for our nieces and my parents, and other random gifts, it's crazy.

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/murphdog_...

that's not even everybody; some people are in the kitchen, which is pretty much open to the living room.

...............

Source(s): ............. we do gifts, have dessert, and everyone stays until the younger kids get tired. people slowly trickle out, clean up (of dishes anyway) starts, and I take my stuff to my room. I fall asleep with a smile on my face, and start dreaming of next year's Christmas. ~♥MERRY CHRISTMAS!♥~

My answer is in the Thanksgiving section. Please be sure to read it there. Thanks.