Lyonn asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

What's the difference between cross-training in different martial arts and being a mixed martial artist?

I don't mean a professional mixed martial artist. JUst a mixed martial artist by practice...I mean, learning different martial arts and "mixing" them.

Like, if you do Muay Thai and cross train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and Aikido, doesn't that make you a mixed martial artist because you "mixed" those three martial arts?

So, what's cross-training?

But I do not switch these martial arts. I learned Aikido first, but this did not interfere or conflict with my Muay Thai and BJJ learning.

It's not like I'm learning Karate and Muay Thai on the same time, in which, I cannot use one technique for the other martial arts. I mean, seriously, can you do Muay Thai kicks and punches in a Karate match? And if you do take seriously Karate instead of Muay, you're gonna have to let go of those Muay techniques when you start doing Karate matches. You can still use the Muay techniques in a real fight, but unless you have excellent muscle memory, you will not be able to do those Muay techniques perfectly as you would if you continued Muay.

These martial arts I cross-train in compliment each other; Muay for the strikes and clinching, Aikido for the standing locks, and BJJ for the ground fighting. So they don't conflict.

So, question is, since I "mixed" these 3 martial arts, did I just cross train or can I consider this as an MMA in itself?

• Beast
    Favorite Answer

MMA is taking some of the moves and technics from several different arts and using them together to improve a persons ability to perform is a competition setting. There is a lot of moves and Technics left out.

When you cross train you are starting as a beginner in a different art and learning all that the art has to offer. It takes longer to train this way. Most people who do this have dedicated there life to the arts. And they are better because of it.

An MMA fighter will get good at fighting faster, but they seldom will reach the level of mastery of some one that truly trains in the different arts.

Cross training is kinda like drawing from several sources to improve. Kinda like weight-lifting and gymnastics. Using two strengths together or to complement each others weakness.

Think the term just Martial Artist works much better then being a Jiujitsu martial artist, muay Thai artist, or Mixed martial artist. Just these terms can seem a rather vague description of our fighting style.

Mixed Martial Arts is a sport, which mixes fighting techniques from all unarmed ranges of fighting. To be a 'Mixed Martial Artist,' all you have to do (technically) is compete in the sport. Tank Abbott and Kimbo Slice are 'Mixed Martial Artists,' by definition.

Cross Training is when you practice more than one style, generally for the sake of closing the gaps between your arts. Sometimes cross training is efficient (striking + clinch + ground) and sometimes, it's not quite as practical (wristlocks + wristlocks + wristlocks). Of course, context dictates the effectiveness. If you only want to do grappling, it could make sense to practice BJJ, Wrestling, and Sambo. If you want to do MMA or something, you'll need a more varied mix.

The vast majority of MMA fighters cross-train.

Long story short, MMA = a combat sport. Unless you participate in it (via competing or training specifically for it), you're not a Mixed Martial Artist.

Cross-training = practicing several martial arts at the same time.

The key thing to understand is that they're not INHERENTLY related.

• Kokoro

i have been doing martial arts for over 30 years. i have trained in over a dozen different style to get a better understanding of them.

i have been doing shotokan for the entire time and i still only teach shotokan and shito ryu.

to me cross training is studying other styles but always teaching the same style. training in other styles has opened up my eyes on what shotokan has in it. every time i train with someone else or in another style i can find that most of the time technique in shotokan. to some extend it has broadened the way i teach and study shotokan

edit:> most mma people do not have any understanding of styles. they think that after 1 of 2 years or even less, they know enough and move on to the next they. and they combine all these arts.

1 style takes decades to understand and a life time to master.

cross training you are not combining style you are more keep true to one style while learning another. you may teach a concept from another art but still keeping it separate.

Source(s): 30 years ma shotokan and shito ryu

mixed martial artists is basically a free for all. my instructor held the first legal one in tennessee. a crossed train one is one who can perform different styles

ground n pound tactics, dirty boxing, sprawl are all pure mma dimensions thats the differnce

Beast gave you the best answer it was what i would of said but not as good as beast did.

i have no idea, look it up on google.

the diference is that u start with 1 type then you swich to a dferent one

thats croos training

this is mixed

when you swich throue all of them

OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Source(s): go to wedgiegirls.com