Heathen asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Where does the United States rank in these categories? Finland?

1. Health care

2. Soundest banking system

3. Life expectancy

4. Happiness

5. Least perceived corruption

6. Democracy

7. GDP per capita

8. Freedom of the press

9. Network readiness

10. Most livable (greenest)

Not that I want to move to Finland (too cold), but I personally expect our country to rank higher in every one of these categories.

If we are the superpower we say we are, it shouldn't just reflect in our military and size of our economy. It should be reflected in the lives of the citizens.

Maybe our politicians should think about truly making our lives better.

scredawg - you are correct. it does kind of translate to how much health care you get for your money. what does it matter if it's the best health care if you can't afford it?

Favorite Answer

1. Finnish citizens receive government-financed healthcare through the “national pension office” (KELA). KELA also covers all or part of the costs of prescription medicines. Generally speaking, health care is cheap, definitely cheaper than what it is in the states.

2. Currently most Finnish banks do not expect to end up as bad as some of the banks abroad. Loans are not so easily handed out, so banks are more likely to have a decent amount of capital available. Though the government has taken some measures to ensure stability in the banking industry, due the international situation.

3. The average life expectancy in Finland is 78,66 years, while USA’s expectancy is 78,06 (mind you, Finnish women’s life expectancy is nearly two years more than American women’s).

4. In BusinessWeek’s 2006 survey, Finland ranks as the 6th happiest country in the world, the US is not featured in the top twelve.

5. Finland has been called the least corrupted country in the world. Though recent scandals in political campaign finances, and rumours police dishonesty has made Finns a little less trusting of their officials. Still, I’ve read of US politicians getting away with things that Finnish politicians could not manage.

6. How do you rank that? The fact that Finland’s full official name is the Democratic Republic of Finland should say something. Human rights violations are almost nonexistent (except for the imprisonment of men who refuse to participate in either civil or armed service).

7. According to the World Bank, Finland has a 46,515 dollars per capita GDP and is ranked 8th highest in the world, USA has 45,790 per capita GDP and is ranked as 10th highest.

8. The Finnish constitution and varied other laws ensure freedom of the press.

9. What sort of “network readiness”? There are measures to have high speed wireless internet available in the whole of Finland ASAP (though I’ve heard there’ve been hold-ups) and cellphone networks work everywhere (this is the land of Nokia, after all).

10. Can’t give any numbers here, but Finland has literally thousands of lakes and plenty of forestlands. Anyone can freely wonder in the forests and pick berries and mushroom, without needing the consent of the landowner (this is called an “Everyman’s Right”). Clean nature is often called the most valuable national treasure of Finland.

Also, I would like to mention that higher education (i.e. universities and the like) are completely free in Finland, and KELA even provides students with free financial aid.

• 6 years agoReport

"The fact that Finland’s full official name is the Democratic Republic of Finland should say something."

It most certainly is not! That "Democratic Republic" has been a code for a dictatorship for decades. "Finnish Democratic Republic" was Stalin's puppet government during the Winter War.

I don't understand what network readiness has to do with the quality of life in general, or for that matter the perception of corruption. Finland is no colder than most of the north east or the midwest in winter. The term superpower comes from military readiness and capability, not livability

I'm British, but I have to say I wouldn't necessarily expect the U.S to rank higher than finland in any of those categories. I would also say that in numbers 3 and 10, the U.S. is almost certainly behind not only Finland but the rest of Europe aswell.

1.) Lower on the scale of industrialized nations because so many people do without.

2.) The west has a strong banking system.

3.) U.S. has one of the higher life expectancy ratings, but, certainly not the highest.

4.) Unmeasureable

5.) Yawn

6.) U.S. is seen, and is, one of the strongest Democracy's.

7.) U.S. has one of the highest GDP per capita of any nation.

8.) U.S. has a free press.

9.) U.S. has one of the stongest connectivity ratings.

10.) Don't know, but, the U.S. has a lot of park land and space.

I don't know, but I'm pretty sure we are not number 1 in most of those categories. The only one I think we are number 1 in is probably freedom of the press but that's about it.

You should check on the criteria for the ranking! I'm sure you will find it has a socialists bias...

The "health care" is rated with cost being the determining factor instead of availability and quality...

The strength of our banking system is now ranked # 40th in the world - even below Namibia.