Kitty
Kitty asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

do these look like symptoms of depression?

I think I'm going into depression but i don't know.

- i take naps that are too long, 4-5 hours, because theres nothing else to do...and i do feel tired after school

- feeling of hopelessness...just feels like ill never go to college and get a good job (im in 11th grade now)

- i have bad anxiety if that matters

- im starting to care less and less about school work, it could be lazyness, but it doesnt feel like lazyness, it feels like i just dont care anymore

- im always worrying about dying

- feel like life is pointless

- i have friends at school, but they all think im crazy, and we never hang out afterschool, no one asks me so i figure im too weird for them. so basically i sit in my house all day.

i dunno what to do anymore. i know for a fact my mom probably wont take me to the doctor about this, because ive been to the doctor a lot over the past months for anxiety mediciine, plus i dont think she will take me seriously.

Favorite Answer

I can tell you're really hurting, and yes, I think these sound like symptoms of depression. Please do tell your mom. Anxiety and depression are related.

I have social anxiety. Well that's the latest. I've been told it's Generalized Anxiety Disorder. So whatever it is, it's anxiety. And I've been depressed too. I've done a lot of reading online about it. It's possible to be depressed about the anxiety.

For example, for me, I could get depressed over all I've missed out on. Better jobs, more or better relationships. Experiences. So my opinion is that anxiety and depression are intertwined. Depression seems like a logical thing to happen after all this oppressive anxiety.

Some SSRIs treat both, they say. Talk with your doctor, your mom. Definitely do talk with somebody. You sound depressed, and the sooner you get help, the sooner you'll feel better.

Source(s): personal experience

Are you aware that anxiety and depression go hand in hand? Typically most sufferers of depression also have anxiety and viceversa. I'm guessing you already know that you have depression? I mean with all these symptoms, how could you not? You say that your mom wont take you to the doctor because she has already taken you their over the past month and are on anxiety medication? I think her logic may be on the up and up, as most anxiety and depression medication can take up to a full 6 weeks before it begins to work, so maybe you need to give yourself a little time? and give yourself some credit once in a while, don't be so hard on yourself, treat yourself to some fun and start getting out and doing things, I'm sure that in time you will get out of this funk that you are in. I wish you the best. Penelope

Since you are aware of having these staring episodes, then I don't think they're seizures. It does sound like you may be easily distracted and have a kind of daydreaming thing going on. I think you may be right about seeing a counselor. Perhaps the one in high school was not the right one for you. You could go for an evaluation at a local mental health agency, which should be free. And talk over the results with your parents so that you get the help you need. Good luck.

Some signs of Depression are:

Disturbed thinking

Feelings of sadness or irritability

Loss of interest or pleasure in activates once enjoyed

Changes in weight or appetite

Changes in sleeping patterns

Feelings of guilt, hopelessness or worthlessness

Inability to concentrate, remember things or make decisions

Fatigue or loss of energy - withdrawal

Restlessness or decreased activity noticed by others

Complaints or physical aches and pains for which no medical causes can be found

Thoughts of suicide or death

Feeling overwhelmed

Depression, if not treated, can last many months or years.

Information contributed by the TRU Counselling Department.

Source(s): Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation

You are suffereing from depression no doubt. You need to see a doc to figure out what is going on. If Mom is not hearing you, go to your school wellness center or guidance counselor. If you start feeling like you want to hurt yourself, call 911 as soon as you can so you don't. Mom would rather be mad than have you dead or hurt.

If your depressed that is something you definitely need to tell your parents. If you choose not too you can always talk to the school counselor. I think you just need someone to relate to who is going through the same issues or at least has a grasp on the idea. Email me if youd like i dont mind talking if you need to.

yeah it sounds like to me that your heading into depression!,.

if you don't feel comfortable talking to you mom, write her a letter explaining how you feel and that you would like to see a doct. before you starting failing in school. Cuz you will get to the point where your not even wanna get out of bed let alone school... maybe you wont need meds maybe just someone to talk to.. Go to your mom thats whats she there for!

Source(s): currently taking Zoloft

Signs and symptoms of depression:

Prolonged sadness or unexplained crying spells

Significant changes in appetite and sleep patterns

Irritability, anger, worry, agitation, anxiety

Pessimism, indifference

Loss of energy, persistent lethargy

Feelings of guilt, worthlessness

Inability to concentrate, indecisiveness

Inability to take pleasure in former interests, social withdrawal

Unexplained aches and pains

Recurring thoughts of death or suicide

yes that does sound like depression

dont give up so soon.....you should sit your mom down and have a talk with her and explain to her everything you wrote here....explain to her how you feel and let her know that you need help

if shes a good mom she should atleast listen and be by your side!

it definetely sounds like depression