I messed up my credit-how long until I can get a new card?

When i was 18-20 I had a credit card and misused it badly. for a year I ignored the bank trying to get their money. I eventually realized how bad this is and have now paid off the entire balance. I am now 22 and would like to get a new card since I am trying to start my life outside of college. I paid the card off... show more When i was 18-20 I had a credit card and misused it badly. for a year I ignored the bank trying to get their money. I eventually realized how bad this is and have now paid off the entire balance. I am now 22 and would like to get a new card since I am trying to start my life outside of college. I paid the card off for over a year so I could have a long history of making good payments. I have tried for cards since it has been paid off but have no luck (which I understand). I am scared to try too many times because I hear that can effect your credit and I hear checking your credit too many times is bad. How long until I can get someone to trust me again? Besides this I have other things on my credit that are all good.
Update: Is there a way I can get my credit score for free? I'm still worried about how often my credit has been checked in the last year.