why does Sen. McCain favor the Confederate Flag? ?

This symbol is very offensive to many Americans.

He originally opposed it. He later flip-flopped and now agrees with displaying this flag.

Favorite Answer

Because he will lose the Southern vote which is just about the only thing thats keeping him alive in this election.

If he opposes the flag, then he makes alot of people just stay home, and allows Obama to **gasp** actually carry the South.

It may be offensive to some people, but it is a part of our history. There are those out there who would like to re-write history and erase all mention and memorabilia of the Confederacy. Sort of like the novel 1984, make history be as you would want it to be.

People need to understand that the Confederate flag was the banner of states fighting for states rights and against economic restrictions placed on them by northern states, which, btw, had many more slaves than the south. The Civil War actually had nothing at all to do with slavery; slavery was just a convenient rallying cry for the north, to allow they to take over the southern resources that they so desperately coveted.

If you think differently, you need to really study the history of the Civil War; drop your blinders, and have your tunnel vision treated.

That the Confederate flag has become associated with fringe anti-government groups is a shame, but don't confuse the two. The Confederate Flag does NOT represent these groups....they stole it, and in doing so, have stolen it's meaning in history.

Edit: Yes, Beba....we knew that. I'm bi-racial and I respect Martin Luther King like I respect very very few others. But, one thing this country didn't need, was one more paid holiday for federal (and state) employees. Think about THAT for a while.

• Teekno

John McCain fought for your right to display the Confederate Flag.

Why do you find it offensive, is it because you fail to grasp that the flag means something other than slavery? Did it ever occur to you that by banning it's display, you are violating a person's Constitutional rights of free speech? Are you supporting the violation of a person's rights, just to be politically correct?

it is "the soldiers flag", only racist have made it a racist symbol. many blacks helped raise that large flag in florida. it is the flag of the south.

Because he also opposed having a memorial date or holiday for Dr. Martin Luther king. Did you know that?

• David

More black males wearing their pants half way down their backsides than I care to even think about OFFENDS me but how far do you think I would get if I were to take my case to the Supreme Court?

Wonder whatever happened ot the constitutional right to FREE SPEACH?

u ask me F the confederate Flag.....Bad Memories and death from my grandparents .generation.....an if you for it F you to...YOu not American May as Well Where a Nazi pin to.

}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I don't consider someone who changes their mind based upon new data, and years later, to be flip-flopping.

Flip-flopping is changing your mind within a very short time frame and not based upon any new facts.

And this is true for all candidates, not just one side.

• This is a State Issue, the President and Federal GOVT have no say, so...your question and rant against McCain is wasted. Thanks for the easy two points!