manual transmission vs automatic transmission?

hi im doing a report on manual transmission vs automatic transmission for my oral com class and i was hoping someone could help me out by telling me some pros or cons or some really good website links i could use ??? thank u

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

manual pros:

fun to drive

efficient

cons:

have to shift all the time

automatic pros:

you don't do anything, just hit the gas

cons:

inefficient compared to manual

go out after ~100k miles

expensive to repair

Source(s): wikipedia
  • 1 decade ago

PROS:

Manual transmissions are preferred by racers and in general people who like to go fast. They're considered more fun to drive and being able to drive stick can be considered an impressive ability. They convey more power to the drive wheels. They get greatly better mileage than automatic transmissions due to something I will explain in the auto cons. They're cheaper to purchase as well as maintain and are less likely to break because the internals are stronger and simpler.

Automatics are much easier to drive. You can have a hand free to hold a drink or eat while you're driving because you don't need to worry about shifting. You don't have to worry about stalling your vehicle when you step on the brake without depressing the clutch. If you have a problem you instantly know what to do: Take it to the repair shop.

CONS

Manual transmissions have clutch plates which wear out more frequently than automatic transmissions break. You have to make sure to press the clutch when braking and you do not have any hands free to eat or drink or roll down windows or adjust mirrors. You might burn out accidentally if you make a mistake and damage your axle or differential or many other parts.

Automatic transmissions' greatest pitfall is their loss in efficiency compared to manual transmissions. They use a device called a torque converter which is filled with transmission fluid which conveys the drive input to the output shaft on the other side. This is the reason that they creep forward when manual vehicles do not. Since fluid is not solid, a lot of the energy is wasted and it loses power as well. I believe in some instances the fluid causes the output shaft to lock with the input shaft and you get direct drive, but I do not know this for sure (torque converters are amazingly hard to truly understand). They are more likely to break and cost vastly more to repair. Repairs cannot be done by oneself unless one has massive amounts of experience while manual transmissions are covered in normal maintenance books for individual vehicles.

I hope this provides you with enough content for your presentation!

If you need more, I highly recommend looking at

www.howstuffworks.com

(Piffle F: Automatic transmissions use a fluid coupling as well as planetary gears. At low engine speeds, the fluid is not moving with enough force to cause the clutch to activate the direct drive. Instead, the fluid is what conveys the force. This is why automatic cars will roll at low speeds when the brake is realeased. If you have driven a manual vehicle before, you know that when you press the brake without the clutch, your engine will stall because your engine is directly attached to the wheels. On an automatic car, it does not stall because while it has resistance, it is not sufficient to overcome the torque of the engine. Were it planetary gears that caused this drive, you would hear a ratcheting noise when the brakes were depressed as you would when powering a drill while holding the tightening mechanism on the tip.)

• 1 decade ago

I'd like to echo Bode's suggestion for Howstufworks.com it's how I learned everything I know about transmissions.

But just to clarify, Automatics do NOT use fluid to transfer the drive force. They use Planetary Gears. The input shaft of an automatic transmission is always spinning (From the engine) The output speed is dictated by stopping one or more sets of planetary gears, which forces the other ones to turn faster or slower (Gross simplification here, I know)

The reason Automatics are More Expensive, Less Efficient, More Costly to repair, and Less Reliable are all linked to the same thing. They have a TON more moving parts. While a 5 speed manual transmission may have 10 or 15 moving parts inside it, a 3 speed automatic will be twice as large (or more), and have at least 50-60 moving parts to break.

• 1 decade ago

MANUAL. you will be a better driver. You won't be able to text while driving so easy but, hey that might be a good thing. You have more power and control over the engine and hence better fuel economy, gearbox wear and many other things. When an automatic transmission goes it will cost you a bomb! Depending on what car you're getting and what your worth you may even have to end up selling the car when confronted with a $2500 repair bill to put in a new tranny. Manual transmission are more environmentally freindly as they burn less oil and gas and degrade quicker in the dump.

May the Farce be with you.

Source(s): Me.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Manual Transmission gets much better gas mileage (why all mpg tests are done in manuals), better acceleration, sooo much fun, but are no fun when sitting in lines, stalling out if your not used to it, rolling back into people on hills if your a newbie, and your car is gone if your park brake breaks on a hill unless you leave it in gear.

Automatic Transmissions are super easy to drive, just put in it drive and go, your right hand is free (can be good or bad), and that's about it, but they break a lot faster, get much worse mileage, and are more expensive but that can be good if your selling your car with an auto tranny...ups the value.

• 1 decade ago

definitely simplicity on the manual, an extra pedal really intimitates newcomers, but it's quickly overcome. fewer components to a stick, but more noise with the gear mesh. the feel of controlling your shifts is priceless, but when you're feeling lazy or have a beer in hand, it's much harder to shift and drink at the same time.

automatics are really coming a long way. they now have 6 speed autos with cluth to clutch shifting, no accumulators or bands to wear out. and they've integraged a transmission control module into the trans itself. they weigh about the same, but autos have more moving parts and a seperate cooler for the trans located inside the radiator. iff your cooler takes a crap and leaks inside the radiator you've got a world of hurt on your hands.

pro's and con's even themselves out. it's a matter strictly of personal opinion

Source(s): www.xowey.com
  • 1 decade ago

manual trans / better control over your vehicle.

better gas mileage. manual trannys last longer.

Source(s): Been driveing manual tranmission cars for 30 years.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.