Powerful .577 T-Rex Rifle?

Is a .577 T-Rex Rifle more powerful than a 50 caliber rifle (50 is used in the armey).

Favorite Answer

T-Rex in any reasonable loading is around 11,000 foot pounds of striking energy. The .50 BMG runs around 13,000 foot pounds in the common loadings, with some custom loadings reaching 15,000 foot pounds at the extreme.

As to hunting, the .50 BMG is a excellent cartridge for long range shots on medium to large game. I would not shoot a mule deer at 10 yards, the damage would be too great, but at 100 to 300 yards, just a great cartridge.

• H

John De Witt gave you the best answer. To this I'll only add that the .50 BMG is not a hunting caliber, while the .577 T-Rex is (albeit, on the large side). If there's something out there that I can't take with my .30-06, .375 H & H or .4-5-8 Winchester Magnum I'm NOT GONNA HUNT IT! I'm gonna let it be! LOL!

H

Yes and no. They do different things, and they have different strengths and weaknesses. When you grow up, you'll find that such comparisons aren't very useful, and you'll restrict yourself to a comparison of like things. 577 is a classic caliber, the 577 Nitro Express having been one of the old "stopping calibers" in the golden age of safaris. That itself was an upgrade, a powerful cartridge using the old military 577 caliber made famous in the Snyder rifle of the British army. The 577 Tyrannosaur essentially duplicates the 577 NE in a bolt-action. The 50 BMG, of course, is famous as the chambering of "Ma Deuce," the US heavy machine gun.

577 Caliber

John de Witt hit the nail on the head. All I could add is that the .577 T-Rex rifle is a wonderful Texas squirrel rifle :>)

Open you tube and type .557 Trex in the search box,you will see the recoil.

Source(s): www.youtube.com

Informative answers, just what I was searching for.