You gotta have faith, faith, faith...?

when I was living as a christian, if I was faced with a difficult question about my beliefs, I would say that it requires faith. I've noticed that the same answer is given a lot here too. So, have any of you ever had faith is something that never came to pass, or in something that you believed to be right, but was wrong? I have. I had faith that my brother would recover when people told me that God told them that he would be healed. He didn't get healed and ended up dying......even though I, my family, and a couple hundred other people had faith that he would live, he didn't. I learned that just because I had faith in something didn't make it so. I came to realize that that was only one example out of many in my life. My faith is gone.

Huggy, I haven't pleased him for several years.

Joe, where does the verse that talks about having the faith as a grain of mustard seed and telling a mountain to cast itself into the sea come into play with what you said?

jojo, the point I'm trying to make is that even though you have faith in something, that doesn't make it true. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something about faith?

Favorite Answer

"There may be times when we must make a courageous decision to hope even when everything around us contradicts this hope. Like Father Abraham, we will “against hope [believe] in hope.”30 Or, as one writer expressed, “in the depth of winter, [we find] within [us] an invincible summer.”31

Faith, hope, and charity complement each other, and as one increases, the others grow as well. Hope comes of faith,32 for without faith, there is no hope.33 In like manner faith comes of hope, for faith is “the substance of things hoped for.”34

Hope is critical to both faith and charity. When disobedience, disappointment, and procrastination erode faith, hope is there to uphold our faith. When frustration and impatience challenge charity, hope braces our resolve and urges us to care for our fellowmen even without expectation of reward. The brighter our hope, the greater our faith. The stronger our hope, the purer our charity."

That's really sad :( I'm very sorry to hear about your brother, and don't listen to the person who said god took your brother to teach you a lesson, that's just not true. Sometimes people just aren't strong enough to fight, and they need to let go and rest. I'm very sorry to hear that you have lost your faith through all of this, as I realise that for some, losing faith in their religion can be very difficult. I hope in time you will see that life isn't all doom and gloom, and I really hope you can be happy again :)

I have never claimed that it takes "faith" when my beliefs were backed in a corner. If my beliefs can be backed in a corner, then they are invalid, and I need to rethink my position. "Faith," in Christianity, should consist of rational presuppositions, not blind acceptance. As for healing, my denomination, like many others, has always maintained that miracles, if they occur at all, are exceptionally rare.

I'm sorry about your brother. But you listened to people who told you things that run contrary to Christian tradition, and then when their doctrines turned out to be false, you threw out that Christian tradition. That's kind of like refusing to use a telephone because someone once told you that it would make your bed in the morning.

I had faith that my uncle would live when he was in the hospital a few years back. I thought in a few weeks me and him would be joking about the time he almost died... but he did die.

Thats not what made me convert from Christianity though. It was the fact that the whole thing didn't make a whole lotta sense to me.

Your perception of 'faith' and its abilities are not scripturally discerned or learned but are born of the whims of pop culture. The Bible tells what faith is and its power within the Will and plans of God.

What you want faith to equal is not what God has ordained.

God is true and just.

Isaiah 55:8

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD.

Isaiah

Isaiah 55:9

"As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

• Ashley

My sister died of cancer this year, she accepted Christ before she died. She kept praying and praying to be healed, but she kept getting sicker. She died. I watched her die, it took hours. She had a smile on her face and love in her eyes. Even though God didn't heal her flesh, He healed her spirit. That counts for so much more. Just because you want something to happen a certain way doesn't make it God's will. Her death is what led me to Jesus. God used her death to save me! Gods plans are greater than ours. He knows better than we do. Trust in Him and find the good. Don't let your grief sever your relationship with the Lord. You lost your brother, He lost a Son. You will see him again.

• Jimbo

One of the many causes of me losing my faith was the idea propagated at my church that it was prayer that DID save my sister. She was the only one that made it alive from her ward, which leads logically to the conclusion that God didn't save those children because they weren't prayed for. That is not a God I am interested in worshipping.

Sorry for the loss of your brother. It is not for this life that we hope, but the life to come. What if God raises your brother and you up to eternal life, would that change your opinion? This is our faith, that even though we die, yet shall we live forever in Christ.

"Faith is the belief in something that you KNOW isn't true." Mark Twain.

• Liz

You also have to understand that things happen for a reason.No one is able to see GODs heart or mind.He loves you,and he always will.Why not ask him to take your pain,he will comfort you.