Deeps
Lv 4
Deeps asked in SportsCricket · 1 decade ago

What is trajectory in spin bowling? ?

Can you explain both off-spin and leg spin in detail with all the variation the spinner can use to fool the batsman?

Update:

I don't really mind technical answers!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Without getting too technical,

Off spin is when a right arm bowler bowling to a right handed batsman pitches the ball on or around the off stump and upon pitching, the ball spins towards middle and leg stump. In effect, from the view point of the batsman, the ball turns from off side to leg side (right side to left). Typical variation of the off spin is what is called the doosra (or other one) where the ball break from left to right from the batsman's perspective, although the bowler's action is very similar to the conventional off spin delivery. The other variation is the straight one, where the batsman expects the delivery to spin, but the ball skids straight on.

Interestingly, when a left arm bowler employs similar technique to spin the ball, it is called "left arm orthodox bowling"

Leg spin

Conventional leg spin is achieved by a right arm bowler bowling to a right hand batsman where the ball turns from leg side to off (from the batsman's perspective, from left to right). The variation of the leg spinner is usually the googly (again, the reverse direction of spin employing a very similar action. For someone who has followed Shane Warne's career, it is unfair to stop at one variation, he was the master at variations.

Considering that the aim of spin bowling (off or leg) is to fool the batsman, variations can be made by slowing the delivery, flighting the ball, firing it in as a quicker variation etc. The trajectory is the path of the ball from the time it leaves the bowler's hand to the time it pitches

in front of or around the batsman.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Trajectory is only one element of spin bowling. It is important because it normally relates to speed of the ball and how much purchase it will get.

The answerer above has covered deception with spin, but trajectory can also be used to great effect. Firstly if the ball gets above the batsman's eye line they have to lift their head to see it and can't keep the pitch in their peripheral vision. That makes them lose perspective of length.

Secondly some types of spin can give the ball an unnatural trajectory, making it drop earlier or later than expected. As a batsmen wants to hit the ball on the full or half volley, this can draw him out of his ground and get him stumped.

Third a trajectory can vary from side to side and even wobble. This is particularly good if the ball will spin in the opposite direction to the curve as it gets the bat coming across the ball rather than towards it with a full face.

Good question - have a star!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Technically, a trajectory means the projectile path of a delivery . In simple words a hawkaye indicates the trajectory of a ball .

Trajectory can have many variations depending upon the type of bowling. For off and leg spinners, it can be:

Conventional off spin/ leg spin

Doosra/ Googly (wrong one)

Flipper (Arm ball)

Top spin

All these balls with variations of speeds and type can be used to befool the batsmen however there is one important term "drift" which also plays an important role in trajectory, it is the movement in air of the ball before it lands and spins , the drift can be very dangerous and make the things much complicated for batsmen. harbhajan sometimes bowls the drifters with off spin, the ball loops , sways and dips and then finally spins making it deadly combination for an LBW call !

hope it helps!

god bless!

• 4 years ago

I may be wrong but I do it all the time with out trying. I have double jointed wrist so I struggle with bowling. What I do is roll the ball and my wrist pops out a little and the ball spins. So I get allot of gutter balls.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago
    Source(s): kashikooler979.brain
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.