Using eBay protection program and eBay Safety Bank Account for buying and selling a car.. Is this Good IDEA?

I finally found the car I wanted to buy at right price at craiglist.com and I sent an e-mail to the car owner saying that I really want to buy your car if what you've described about your car is actually what it is.

She replied me saying that everything is right and she wants to use

eBay protection program for safety and for payment she prefers to use a eBay Safety Bank Account. And she needed my full name and address so she can open a case.(with no further obligation to buy it or fees).

This is my first time buying used car from the actual owner(not from the dealer), and I am not sure whether this is right process.

My concern is that the price she wanted me to pay for her car was relatively cheaper than the book value. (actually a lot cheaper)

Thanks for your help!

Favorite Answer

You know the old saying: If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I would never buy a car sight unseen, no matter how reassuring the seller is. Honestly, if you can't find one in town, go to a place like Cars.com. NEVER give out personal information to a total stranger. If she's not using Ebay, she cannot use their account protection services. Something smells like day old sushi to me.

If you cannot get to her area (or she can't get to yours), walk away from this thing.

THIS IS A COMPLETE SCAM. Is the car sitting in your town and you've driven it and had it inspected and you've met the owner. Probably not.

Is shipping the car to you part of the transaction? If it is, walk away from this deal before you lose all your money.

These people are thieves and you are their target.

Ebay doesn't even offer the type of service being described.

I would be very wary of this transaction as there is no explicit "eBay Safety Bank Account" that is anywhere linked to eBay (that I could see). Check any url's if and when she sends you a link to transfer a deposit as it could be a fake link that looks like an eBay site. Just be cautious as I haven't heard of this payment method before.

sorry but if its on craigslist and they want to use ebay then thats a scam cause you have to be listing it on ebay to use ebay so really the way it works you drive up or walk up to any car open hood and check all the fluids you crank it you drive it then you decide to buy it but if you cant see it and you cant drive it then (scam) i bet they are in another state but theier car is in another state but somewhere else right what is about to happen is your going to lose your money read some of these before you go and give her your info and money