Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

do you need to have lincese plate and insurance for a 50cc motor scooter in the state of arkansas?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

From DMV.org with links to the AR OMV

When determining where a moped or scooter falls under Arkansas law, it basically comes down to engine displacement.

If a vehicle has an engine displacement of 250 cubic centimeters (cc) or greater, has a seat or saddle meant for riding, and is designed to travel with three or fewer vehicles on the ground, it's considered a motorcycle.

If it has less than 250 cc, but fits the other criteria, it's considered a motor-driven cycle.

If it has less than 50 cc, and has an automatic transmission, it's classified as a motorized bicycle.

Motor-Driven Cycles

For the most part, the registration and licensing procedures concerning a motor-driven cycle are the same as those for other vehicles.

You can drive a motor-driven cycle if you are at least 14. If you're under 16, though, you'll need to have an MD driver's license. This is a restricted license. You may obtain one by passing the required vision, knowledge, and skills tests. If you've passed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Riders Course within 90 days of your MD license application, you don't need to take the skills test.

Motorized Bicycles

To operate a motorized bicycle, you'll need to be at least 10 years old and have a Motorized Bicycle Certificate. (You don't need to have this certificate if you already have a Class A, B, C, D, M, or MD license, or an Intermediate or Learner's permit.)

To obtain this restricted certificate, you'll need to pass the vision, knowledge, and skills test. If you've passed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Riders Course within 90 days of your MD license application, you won't need to take the skills test.

Special Rules

Riders of any of these types of vehicles must obey the same traffic laws as other drivers. However, there are special rules to follow, too. Remember to always turn on your lights, even in the blazing sun of an Arkansas summer. Everyone riding on the bike must protect their eyes with goggles, protective glasses, or a transparent face shield. Additionally, if you're under 21, you'll be required to wear a helmet.

You may carry one passenger on your bike, if there are footrests and handholds for the passenger. If you're under 16, though, you'll have to ride alone.