Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMagazines · 1 decade ago

i am looking for the best and most popular songs of the 50s and 60s, like swing, jive and rock n roll..help?

any suggestions will be appreciated

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well first off, swing actually comes from the 1930's and 1940's. At the time it wasn't called swing, it was called "Jazz" and "Big Band".

Here's a list of swingin' jazz and big band songs:

Andrews Sisters - Bounce Me Brother with a Solid Four

Andrews Sisters - Hold Tight

Anita O'Day & Gene Krupa - Drum Boogie

Artie Shaw - Go Fly a Kite

Artie Shaw - Man From Mars

Artie Shaw - Crumbum

Benny Goodman - Life Goes to a Party

Benny Goodman - Sing, Sing, Sing

Benny Goodman - Swingtime in the Rockies

Count Basie - Jumpin' at the Woodside

Count Basie - Shorty George

Count Basie - Swingin' The Blues

Count Basie - Corner Pocket

Count Basie - Splanky

Duke Ellington - C Jam Blues

Ella Fitzgerald - Solid as a Rock

Ella Fitzgerald - Too Darn Hot

Fletcher Henderson - Christopher Columbus

Glenn Miller - American Patrol

Glenn Miller - Bugle Call Rag

Glenn Miller - Jeep Jockey Jump

Lionel Hampton - Flying Home

Louis Armstrong - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

Tommy Dorsey - One O'clock Jump

Tommy Dorsey - Well, Git It!

Now jive isn't actually a type of music. It's a European/Ballroom dance, so I can't really help you with that one, but I can definitly give you some early Rock n' Roll and Jump Blues songs that were popular in the late 1940's and 1950's:

Bill Haley and His Comets - Burn That Candle

Bill Haley and His Comets - Rock this Joint

Bill Haley and His Comets - See Ya Later Alligator

Bill Haley and His Comets - Shake Rattle and Roll

Bull Moose Jackson - Big Ten Inch

Bull Moose Jackson - Why Don't You Haul Off and Love Me

Clarence "Frogman" Henry - Ain't Got No Home

Dion - Runaround Sue

Julie Lee - Last Call for Alcohol

Louis Jordan - Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens

Louis Jordan - Caldonia

Louis Jordan - Saturday Night Fish Fry

Louis Prima - 5 Months, 2 Weeks, 2 Days

Louis Prima - Bannana Splits For My Baby

Louis Prima - Just a Gigolo

Louis Prima - Whistle Stop

Wynonie Harris - Bloodshot Eyes

Wynonie Harris - Wasn't That Good?

Anyways, I hope that helps!

If you're interested in swing dancing, here's a cool video from 2006, that was recorded at a professional swing dance competition. It's one of my favorite clips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myJj0mNNe1Y

Youtube thumbnail

Source(s): I'm a swing dancer and swing music DJ.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 4 years ago

50s 1. Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry 2. Jailhouse Rock - Elvis Presley 3. Rock Around The Clock - Bill Haley & His Comets 4. Tutti-Frutti - Little Richard 5. Whole Lot of Shakin' Going On - Jerry Lee Lewis 6. What'd I Say - Ray Charles 7. Summertime Blues - Eddie Cochran 8. Hound Dog - Elvis Presley 9. Long Tall Sally - Little Richard 10. That'll Be The Day - Buddy Holly & the Crickets 11. Maybellene - Chuck Berry 12. Bo Diddley - Bo Diddley 13. Shake, Rattle And Roll - Joe Turner 14. Blue Suede Shoes - Carl Perkins 15. Don't Be Cruel - Elvis Presley 16. Bye Bye Love - Everly Brothers 17. Great Balls Of Fire - Jerry Lee Lewis 18. Earth Angel - Penguins 19. Why Do Fools Fall In Love - Frankie Lymon & the Teenagers 20. Good Golly Miss Molly - Little Richard 21. Be-Bop-A-Lula - Gene Vincent & the Bluecaps 22. School Day - Chuck Berry 23. Rock And Roll Music - Chuck Berry 24. Peggy Sue - Buddy Holly 25. Lawdy Miss Clawdy - Lloyd Price 26. Lucille - Little Richard 27. Roll Over Beethoven - Chuck Berry 28. In The Still Of The Nite - Five Satins 29. I Only Have Eyes For You - Flamingos 30. For Your Precious Love - Jerry Butler & the Impressions 31. Blueberry Hill - Fats Domino 32. Please, Please, Please - James Brown & the Famous Flames 33. Sh-Boom - Chords 34. Money Honey - Drifters featuring Clyde McPhatter 35. I Walk The Line - Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two 36. Fever - Little Willie John 37. The Great Pretender - Platters 38. Ain't It A Shame - Fats Domino 39. That's All Right - Elvis Presley with Scotty and Bill 40. Your Cheatin' Heart - Hank Williams 41. Sweet Little Sixteen - Chuck Berry 42. The Train Kept-A-Rollin - Johnny Burnette Trio 43. Come Go With Me - Del-Vikings 44. Let The Good Times Roll - Shirley & Lee 45. Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley 46. Rip It Up - Little Richard 47. Rocking Pneumonia & the Boogie Woogie Flu - Huey "Piano" Smith & the Clowns 48. Pledging My Love - Johnny Ace 49. Sixty Minute Man - Dominoes 50. Rocket 88 - Jackie Brenston 51. Yakety Yak - Coasters 52. All Shook Up - Elvis Presley 53. Folsom Prison Blues - Johnny Cash and the Tennessee Two 54. Searchin' - Coasters 55. You Send Me - Sam Cooke 56. Mack The Knife - Bobby Darin 57. Wake Up Little Susie - Everly Brothers 58. Susie Q - Dale Hawkins 59. La Bamba - Ritchie Valens 60. Goodnite, Sweetheart, Goodnite - Spaniels 61. I've Got A Woman - Ray Charles 62. I'm Walkin' - Fats Domino 63. There Goes My Baby - Drifters 64. Shout - Isley Brothers 65. White Christmas - Drifters featuring Clyde McPhatter 66. Keep A 'Knockin' - Little Richard 67. Kansas City - Wilbert Harrison 68. Poison Ivy - Coasters 69. Since I Don't Have You - Skyliners 70. Jambalaya (On The Bayou) - Hank Williams 71. Money - Barrett Strong 72. Speedoo - Cadillacs 73. Rumble - Link Wray 74. Lonely Teardrops - Jackie Wilson 75. Hang Up My Rock And Roll Shoes - Chuck Willis 76. Sea Cruise - Frankie Ford 77. Rave On - Buddy Holly 78. Work With Me Annie - Hank Ballard & the Midnighters 79. Shake, Rattle And Roll - Bill Haley & His Comets 80. Sincerely - Moonglows 81. Crying In The Chapel - Sonny Til & the Orioles 82. Story Untold - Nutmegs 83. My Babe - Little Walter 84. At My Front Door - El Dorados 85. Gee - Crows 86. Matchbox - Carl Perkins 87. C.C. Rider - Chuck Willis 88. Only You - Platters 89. All I Have To Do Is Dream - Everly Brothers 90. Send Me Some Lovin' - Little Richard 91. At The Hop - Danny & the Juniors 92. Little Darlin' - Diamonds 93. Rock-in Robin - Bobby Day 94. Honky Tonk - Bill Doggett 95. Blue Monday - Fats Domino 96. Jim Dandy - Lavern Baker 97. Reelin And Rocking - Chuck Berry 98. Rebel Rouser - Duane Eddy 99. Love Potion No. 9 - Clovers 100. Chantilly Lace - Big Bopper 60s 1. Respect - Aretha Franklin 2. Louie Louie - Kingsmen 3. I Heard It Through The Grapevine - Marvin Gaye 4. (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - Rolling Stones 5. Like A Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan 6. Hey Jude - Beatles 7. Good Vibrations - Beach Boys 8. You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - Righteous Brothers 9. My Girl - Temptations 10. Light My Fire - Doors 11. She Loves You - Beatles 12. You Really Got Me - Kinks 13. In The Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett 14. Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream 15. Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix 16. A Day In The Life - Beatles 17. Papa's Got A Brand New Bag - James Brown 18. Whole Lotta Love - Led Zeppelin 19. My Generation - The Who 20. All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix 21. Mr. Tambourine Man - Byrds 22. Proud Mary - Creedence Clearwater Revival 23. Dock Of The Bay - Otis Redding 24. When A Man Loves A Woman - Percy Sledge 25. I Want To Hold Your Hand - Beatles 26. A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum 27. House Of The Rising Sun - Animals 28. Yesterday - Beatles 29. Be My Baby - Ronettes 30. Where Did Our Love Go - Supremes 31. Somebody To Love - Jefferson Airplane 32. I Saw Her Standing There - Beatles 33. Green Onions - Booker T. & the MGs 34. The Sounds Of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel 35. I Want You Back - Jackson 5 36. Soul Man - Sam & Dave 37. I Get Around - Beach Boys 38. Reach Out, I'll Be There - Four Tops 39. Gimme Some Lovin' - Spencer Davis Group 40. Ain't Too Proud To Beg - Temptations 41. All Day And All Of The Night - Kinks 42. Mony Mony - Tommy James & the Shondells 43. Jumpin' Jack Flash - Rolling Stones 44. Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf 45. Oh, Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison 46. White Room - Cream 47. Sympathy For The Devil - Rolling Stones 48. Ticket To Ride - Beatles 49. The Tracks Of My Tears - Miracles 50. California Dreamin' - The Mamas & the Papas 51. Eight Miles High - Byrds 52. For What It's Worth - Buffalo Springfield 53. Strawberry Fields Forever - Beatles 54. Nights In White Satin - Moody Blues 55. Heart Full Of Soul - Yardbirds 56. People Get Ready - Impressions 57. Honky Tonk Women - Rolling Stones 58. Bad Moon Rising - Creedence Clearwater Revival 59. Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash 60. Stand By Me - Ben E. King 61. Revolution - Beatles 62. Surfin' USA - Beach Boys 63. Glad All Over - Dave Clark Five 64. It's All Right - Impressions 65. Blowin' In The Wind - Bob Dylan 66. Will You Love Me Tomorrow - Shirelles 67. Georgia On My Mind - Ray Charles 68. Dazed And Confused - Led Zeppelin 69. Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones 70. Bring It On Home To Me - Sam Cooke 71. You've Really Got A Hold On Me - Miracles 72. A Hard Day's Night - Beatles 73. Paint It Black - Rolling Stones 74. You Keep Me Hangin' On - Supremes 75. Wild Thing - Troggs 76. She's Not There - Zombies 77. I Feel Fine - Beatles 78. The Loco-Motion - Little Eva 79. Crazy - Patsy Cline 80. The Times They Are A'Changin' - Bob Dylan 81. Do You Believe In Magic - Lovin' Spoonful 82. Psychotic Reaction - Count Five 83. I'm A Believer - Monkees 84. Dancing In The Street - Martha & the Vandellas 85. God Only Knows - Beach Boys 86. The Letter - Box Tops 87. The Wanderer - Dion 88. Under The Boardwalk - Drifters 89. Touch Me - Doors 90. Time Of The Season - Zombies 91. A Change Is Gonna Come - Sam Cooke 92. Gloria - Them / Shadows Of Knight 93. Runaround Sue - Dion 94. Crying - Roy Orbison 95. In My Life - Beatles 96. Waterloo Sunset - Kinks 97. 96 Tears< - ? & the Mysterians 98. I Can See For Miles - The Who 99. Don't Worry Baby - Beach Boys 100. I Got You (I Feel Good) - James Brown

• 1 decade ago

try youtube..thats where i found them..

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.