Why do breastfeeding mothers appear to feel superior to formula feeders?

Ok so here's the backstory: I'm well aware of the benefits of breastfeeding exclusively. I made the decision to breastfeed my baby exclusively from birth, and I thought things were going well. He was nursing every two hours for about 15 minutes each side....but then he became severely jaundice and a little... show more Ok so here's the backstory:
I'm well aware of the benefits of breastfeeding exclusively. I made the decision to breastfeed my baby exclusively from birth, and I thought things were going well. He was nursing every two hours for about 15 minutes each side....but then he became severely jaundice and a little dehydrated and ended up getting admitted to the hospital for 5 days. The lacation nurses said my milk would come in with 4 days of birth...well no matter how much stimulation I received, I simply did not produce milk. I nursed, pumped...everything to no avail (I pumped 15 mins/side every two hours, and in the course of 8 hours of pumping, I got a total of 11 ML of milk.) For the health of my baby, I started exclusively formula feeding him.
So my question is this...Why do so many breastfeeding mothers make snide comments about the fact that I'm formula feeding? Switching to formula so my baby could recover from his jaundice makes me a bad mother because I'm not breastfeeding?
Why do you care how I feed my baby?
If formula's so bad, why do they make it?
Update: Edit: To the people who said breastfeeding is best for jaundice: Dr. said aside from the uv lights, giving fluids is the best thing you can do to flush out the liver. No breast milk = no fluids. My son was also dehydrated and peeing hard yellow crystals (when he did pee...on the day of his hospital admission, he... show more Edit: To the people who said breastfeeding is best for jaundice: Dr. said aside from the uv lights, giving fluids is the best thing you can do to flush out the liver. No breast milk = no fluids. My son was also dehydrated and peeing hard yellow crystals (when he did pee...on the day of his hospital admission, he had one barely wet diaper in 24 hours).
For those who say that anyone can breastfeed if you stick it out long enough: Would you seriously watch your child get dehydrated because you'll 'eventually' get enough milk for his needs or would you suck it up and give him formula? It's not a matter of whether you persevere through it, or whether you gave up too easy...it's a matter of life or death for your child.