Do I have low blood pressure and why?

My blood pressure read at 66/44 (I'm not sure how accurate this is because it was done at home with a piece of equipment from boots), is that low? Another question is that why would it be so low if i drink 4 (sugar-free) red bulls a day, smoke around 10 cigarettes a day and eat quite alot of fatty foods, I get dizzy quite often if I've been sitting down and then stand quickly and get heart palpitations.

• anna
    Favorite Answer

there's not such a thing as low blood pressure if you are adjusted to it and doesn't cause you symptoms.-

the lower the better (without getting extreme off course).-

what you describe, does it happen to you how often?

cause you might have ortostatic hypotension, that is that your blood pressure goes down when you are standing up, and gets better when you lay down.-

you should go to a doc.-

and try to change your life style cause you have all the risk factors for heart diseases.-

I can bet that the reading is inacurrate. 66/44 is a critically low blood pressure, and you would exhibit symptoms of dizziness, weakness, or even passing out.

I recommend you recheck this at your doctor's office.

The normal blood pressure is below 120/80. However, some people are of very slight build, and it is okay for them to have a slightly average lower blood pressure.

When a patient comes to the hospital, we don't get too excited or do any drastic treatments if your BP is not below a systolic (upper number) of 90. Maybe you might get some IV fluids with a low blood pressure like this.

However, with a BP of 66/44, we would recheck it on a different limb, maybe even check your BP with another cuff. If verified, you will be treated with IV fluids. If you don't respond to IV fluid resuscitation, vasopressors like Dopamine IV drip, Neosynephrine or Levophed are given. These are hardcore drugs, and should only be given through a central line (a big IV catheter through a big vein like femoral vein in the groin area).

So, I don't think that you are in danger of hypotension to the point of vasopresors. It does concern me that you get dizzy, especially after sitting down and standing. You might have orthostatic hypotension. The next step is for your doctor to find the reason behind the orthostatic hypotension.

Good luck, and feel better.

Is 66/44 BP dangerous?

There is not doubt that smoking is one of the worst habits on the planet if not the worst. There are many numbers and other alternatives that you could try to stop. On my website I have a blog that is talking about what a lot of countries are starting to do to try to cut down on the level of smokers

http://shopdesignerclothing.com/Blog.html