Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How often wash my dog?

I am fostering a large 50 pound outdoor dog with wooly fuzzy fur. How often should I wash him?

Best Answer

This really depends on the individual dog. If the dog is rolling in dirt and mud, you'll need to bathe more often. If the dog has greasy skin, then you'll need to bathe more often. If the dog is relatively tidy and there's nothing out of the ordinary, then you'll bathe less often.

Basically, you're probably looking at anything from once a week to once every 2 months. It just depends.

When shampooing, just make sure you use a natural shampoo that does NOT contain SLS which dries out the skin. I use either Pure Pet or Happy Tails. Pure Pet is very inexpensive - it's just a natural soap and leaves the coat positively stunning.

What will help keep the dog clean is using a dog dryer to blow out the dust and as much brushing as you can manage.

Good luck!

About once a month. As far as why it's bad to wash the dog too often, you'll dry the skin out quite badly. The oil glands in the skin won't be allowed to do their job. Once a week is way too often, and even show dogs don't get bathed that often. The reason why dogs that are bathed once a week start stinking after a week is because the oil glands are forced to go into overtime, trying to produce oil for the skin that's been washed away by constant bathing. People who bathe about once a month will realize their dogs really don't stink. Also, if the dog does stink quite a bit, there is probably something else wrong, like a food allergy, or something medically wrong. In such cases the dog's diet and such needs to be discussed with a vet.

Every dog is different. Some you can bathe everyday and it wont dry out their skin, some you cant. However, If you do want to bathe your dog often all you have to do to prevent irritation and dry skin is put a teaspoon of vegetable oil in its food every day, or give it Omega Fish Oils. But as far as the yorkie breeds go, I had a yorkie and a yorkie poo and they had a bath every three days, and still do and I have never had any problems with it. As long as when you bathe them you put puppy conditioner on it and then feed it either vegetable oil or fish oil. Even if your dog doesn't have dry skin fish oil wl still benefit his skin and coat, making it much shinier, softer, and look more taken care of. Also fish oils will hake your dog healthier:

Studies show fish oil can support the health of canines just like it can with humans. A study published in the Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine found that dogs with heart failure had lower levels of EPA and DHA than their healthy counterparts. Supplementing with omega 3 oil rich in EPA and DHA improved the survival rates for all dogs.

There’s more too! Now you can stop yelling at Fido to stop licking himself raw. Fish oil has been shown to reduce the itchiness, redness, swelling and hair loss associated with those dry, raw, hairless patches they seem to fixate on. And if he has arthritis – common in large breeds – then omega 3 is the most important thing you can do for Fido. Just like in humans, it will decrease the pain and stiffness associated with arthritis.

I know that was some info you didnt necessarily ask for but I figured you might like to know just how much that omega 3 can help your pet. Not to mention it will make it where you can give your dog a bath every freakin day if you wanted to so it can be all sqeaky clean all the time. I mean I have never had a problem with it and mine take a shower everytime I do, they just walk in and jump into the shower with me, and I take a shower atleast once a day so so do they. You should hve no problems with it unless you are not giving it Omega 3, if you dont do this then he will without a doubt get dry skin and then scratch it and then lose patches of hair from excesive scratching. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Vet Tech 2+ years Animal Owner and Lover Dog and Horse trainer Personal experience

As little as possible, if you have to give him a bath (because he stinks) do so at the most every month, preferably every 2 or 3.

Dogs have natural oils in their coats that protect them against water (but not the soap in the water) and the natural elements in his environment. By bathing a dog you remove these natural oils, and while they will come back, it's bad for his skin and coat.

If he gets mud on him (my sheltie does this to me all the time, chest deep in mud) wash him off with water, and scrub, no harm done to his coat, and you get a clean, well cleaner, dog.

Source(s): I have a Sheltie (Shetland Sheepdog) that loves to dig, and with the digging comes MUD!

Once every 4-8 weeks. The closer to 8 weeks the better, unless he gets into something or reeks!

EDIT: It's not "the more the better" in this case. Dogs have different pH levels than humans and don't sweat. While it's better to wash a human regularly, washing a dog too often will strip him of his natural oils, resulting in very flaky, itchy skin and other skin problems.

It honestly depends. With my dog, like once a month, if even. He's not the type of dog to get in dirt and such. Just make sure to not wash him often because it will strip his coat of it's natural oils. :)

hi,

Most dogs would rather skip bath time, but bathing plays an important role in the health of your dog's coat and skin, helping to keep your dog clean and free of dirt and parasites. And of course, there's the added benefit of making your pooch more pleasant to be around.

here are some guidelines:

http://dogtime.com/bathing.html

hope this helps.

once evey month or month in a half. I should know i have a puppy. Do you have a siberian husky i would like to know.

once every 2 weeks

once a month