How do i know if my hubby was bitten by a copperhead snake or a thorn tree?

My hubby was out doing his thing with his deer stand today and tried to kill a copperhead snake. He is not sure if he was bit or if he hit the thorn tree beside the snake. He has a small hole in knuckle and it is only swollen where the hole is at. it happened about 9 hours ago and he didn't go to the hospital so i... show more My hubby was out doing his thing with his deer stand today and tried to kill a copperhead snake. He is not sure if he was bit or if he hit the thorn tree beside the snake. He has a small hole in knuckle and it is only swollen where the hole is at. it happened about 9 hours ago and he didn't go to the hospital so i am very worried about it. please help
Update: Hes fine now thanks for the answers. swelling went down and redness is going away. for those of u who said he needed to be bit that isnt nice. thats like a threat to someones life. I was just trying to help him and yall want my hubby to die. that really aint good at all.....