7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag rifle better for long Range shooting?

I had been shooting 30-06 so far but now i wanna upgrade my shooting and wanna get a more range covering rifle for over 500 yds.So what would you suggest me to buy among these two?what rifle twist and barrel length would you recommend on these calibers.So far i've studied,all the ballistic charts were for 22" barrel do you know any web site were they have it for 24" barrel also .thank you

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Brutus, im sorry, but you couldnt be more wrong(I would have called you an idiot, but that would be abusive)

The 7mm Rem Mag. Is MY choice of the three, BUT, the 300win Mag is ballistically superior to the 7mm in velocity and energy.

In comparing the 7mm and the .300 with 150 gr bullets at 500 yards, the .300 has 10 fps more and 10 more ft lbs energy, you go heavier, the 300 wins all out.

The .270 is no comparison to either of the bigger rounds.

• 1 decade ago

I am a long time Alaskan hunter and trapper.

I have owned several 300's (Win and Weatherby) and 7mm Rem Mag. I moved into the 338 Win Mag in 1992 and have loved it since. However, 338 is too much for lower 48 hunting.

The 7mm mag is perfect for all lower 48 game - and - it is drop dead accurate at 500 yards with the heavier bullets that take advantage of the slightly smaller diameter and longer bullet that gives it a better ballistic coeficeint (it flies nicer). The 300 Mags are also great for all lower 48 game and are almost as accurate at 500 yards. You need to be an Olympic Class shooter to tell the difference between 100 and 300 yards - and most shooters wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Recoil wise - both are about the same, except you can get some additonal pain and suffering from the 300's using the heavier 200 and 220 grain projectiles.

You never, ever want a 26 inch barrel. I had one - it's just way too long - looks great in the gun case, and, ok for practice - it gets in the way too much while hunting. There is no advantage to a 26" barrel unless you use iron sights 100% of the time - it gives a better sight radius.

If you are in allot of brush and realistically never shoot beyond 400 yards - you will be very, very happy with a 22" barrel.

If you spend allot of time in totally wide open spaces, and, do fly in/drop off hunting - the extra 2" on a 24" barrel can help you reach a bit more, plus, the extra 2" will improve your sight radius if your scope is whacked and you are forced to use iron sights.

However - all said and done - the rifle you choose needs to be the one that seems to fit your shoulder, arms and face best. You are much better off with a rifle that feels totally ballanced and is easy to point (feels like an extension of your body) than the perfect rifle on paper that just feels weird when you go to shoot it. When you it nailed down to two really great feeling rifles - then it's time to peek at the ballistic charts and consider barrel lenght. No before.

Hope this helps

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

7mm Rem Mag or 300 Win Mag rifle better for long Range shooting?

I had been shooting 30-06 so far but now i wanna upgrade my shooting and wanna get a more range covering rifle for over 500 yds.So what would you suggest me to buy among these two?what rifle twist and barrel length would you recommend on these calibers.So far i've studied,all the ballistic charts...

Source(s): 7mm rem mag 300 win mag rifle long range shooting: https://biturl.im/egRNP
  • SM
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Avis, I am a competitive long range marksman and have had several of the best military classes available in extended shooting skills. Both of the rounds you have listed are effective and accurate at 500 yards.For hunting of deer and elk in the states I use both. Both rifles have excellent ballistics and a strong following. I started out with a 300 on the 1000 yard ranges in the service. When I became a civilian again I began competing with a 7mag on the 500 and 1000 yard ranges. If your looking for hunting rifle I would say its a matter of personal choice and comfort. If your looking at target shooting from 500 yards and longer then you might look at other calibers that have been reworked and developed in the past 10 to 15 years. For hunting and constant 300 plus yard shots I would go with a 24 inch barrel. For a rifle that you may take out west once in a while a 22 inch will work as long as you know the rifles capabilities and your own. And finally if your going to want to become very consistent and proficient at long range shooting you will need to spend almost equal time at the range and the reloading bench. Customizing rounds for your rifle will take some time, and remember that humidity, elevation, wind, and heat will affect your bullet path. The 178 grain custom 284 diameter bullet I shoot in Texas for mule deer is the same I will use to compete with in Arizona or Florida. But the powder weight, seating depth, and even primer choice will change. Good luck and hope this gives you some ideas.

Source(s): Retired Navy Armorer, master small arms instructor, rangemaster, 1000 yard competitive marksman, avid long range hunter, handloader, gunsmith, firearms restorer.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I did some studying on those two a few years back using the data in reloading manuals and i believe that the 7mm rem mag with 160 gr bullets vs the 300 win mag with 180 gr bullets were about dead even in drop and energy out to over 300 yards + and then the 7mm take over, of course the rifles need to shoot good.

• 3 years ago

7mm Rem Mag Rifle

• 4 years ago

If you are among individuals who want to construct a new structure and you want to grow to be a designer you must search right here https://tr.im/MKhUT and make use of the recommendations contained in the Ideas 4 Landscaping guidebook.

With Ideas 4 Landscaping guidebook you will not only get the landscape that you want but also allow you to spend quality time with your household because everyone will grew to become concerned with your landscape task

If you want an outside region functional and gorgeous , but you do not have reserved a budget for a skilled landscaping then this guide will be your greatest friend.

• 1 decade ago

For target shooting, you can get the load you want in either caliber, and there are no ballistic tables because it's a handloader's game. It takes a chronograph and plenty of range time. You really don't necessarily need a magnum cartridge at all.

For hunting, you simply need to hunt well enough not to think about such ranges.

• 1 decade ago

Is this for hunting or target shooting???? If its for target shooting then just use the .308... The 300 win mag and 7MM will clean your bank account out shooting that stuff.... .308 is cheaper.....

If this is for hunting then read the below article.....

http://www.chuckhawks.com/7mm_musings.htm

• 4 years ago

7mm mag all day. 10 lbs less on recoil. Much less wind drift. Much cheaper to reload. Much less drop. Settled.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.