:) asked in SportsBaseball · 1 decade ago

Thoughts on Jon Lester?

Five months ago after his no hitter, I asked this question and people said "a no hitter doesn't make a great pitcher." so now i'll ask it again.

We know Jon Lester is an amazing pitcher now, he's being called an ace.

He wants to be known as a great pitcher, not the pitcher that recovered from cancer. think that'll ever happen?

p.s. why does yahoo answers insist that the question be at least 20 characters?

sorry about some random person who gave you all thumbs down.

• Rich F
    Favorite Answer

Throwing a no-hitter doesn't automatically make a pitcher great, since it's just one game. Just like hitting one big home run in a clutch situation doesn't make you a great hitter.

But, when you can say, by the age of 24, that you have beaten cancer, won the clinching game of a World Series, thrown a no-hitter, thrown a complete game shutout against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium, then you can say that you're well on your way to becoming great.

He's already being considered by many experts to be one of the best lefties in the league. His on-field accomplishments will speak for themselves.

Right now if I have to answers this question I would say Joba is much more over rater. He was just a huge hype and has a lot to prove yet. Lester is great and in time will become the ace. I would personally take Lester over Joba Chamberlain and Dice-K too. Lester is more of the work horse type which is more my style. Chamberlain your going to get some quality innings and K's Dice-K your going to get little innings and K's. Neither of them are my preference nor better than Lester. So I do think Joba is more overrated than Lester.

I think that Lester is a great pitcher and he is proving it more and more with every postseason outing. Right now he is the best pitcher in Boston. His story will continue to follow him just because it is an inspiring one. But that will not be the only thing he is known for.

Jon lester in his second start once again prove he can be an ace of a stater.

Jon lester has learn alot but he also needs to learn to stop going off the mound when he has stirke three. It might look good on the mound but dosent mean its close at all.

I don't think there's any doubt that he's been the Red Sox ace this season and has eagerly accepted the role. I think he has that mindset that many cancer survivors have in that they just aren't afraid of anything anymore and know that feeling of knocking on death's door so they're more willing to risk, challenge themselves and put some pressure on themselves to keep getting better.

He's a great story and will continue to be a great pitcher, I think.

• Mr.B

I think Lester is well on his way to becoming one of the dominant pitchers in the game, regardless of being a cancer survivor or not.

I no longer think of Lester as "The Pitcher who survived cancer" I see a future star, the skys the limit with this kid.

(Im not a red sox fan, im a mets fan)

I'm sure many family's have lost someone do to cancer..

So when i see someone beat it and go on to do great things i have great respect them!!

Jon Lester is a true hero to many ppl.

Angels fan.

Source(s): ~MA~

AWESOME pitcher...Second ace on the Red Sox to Beckett...but THE ace this year without question as Beckett has not been up to speed this season...and obviously showing Dice K how its done too...

I hope he pitches Game 1 vs. the Rays...Beckett can pitch Game 2...They can fight over who pitches the clincher...*LOL*

Uh...DMR...Does that stand for DIMROD?...*L*...Nevermind...Too Easy...ARod, KRod, DimRod...

He's a great pitcher and I knew it from the beginning he threw his first ball in his first start in the mlb.