Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

My R&S friends, I have not been around in a long time, so tell me, who will you be voting for and why?

And is your choice dictated by your religious beliefs?

TCC: It does seem to be different around here. Cali is good. I have struggled considerably but I'm making it. Thanks for asking. :o)

Favorite Answer

Its nice to have you back on R & S.

I am voting for Obama. I am NOT voting for him because I think he is the best candidate out there. I am voting for him because he is the lesser of two evils. The McCain/Palin ticket, like most of the Republican Party, makes too many overtures and concessions to the Religious Right in this country. This, to me, is always a dangerous pattern. This was one of my primary gripes against Bush. Yes, Obama also affiliates himself with religion, and speaks of religious values, but at least his views are moderate and his interpretation of the Bible has more nuances, and is therefore compatible with a free democracy. Just watch the 5-minute clip of Obama articulating his views on religion, to see what I am talking about. I was impressed that he the only presidential candidate that I have seen who acknowledges the rights of those who don’t believe in God:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odsDYodanxQ

Youtube thumbnail

Outside of the McCain/Palin ticket’s appeasement of the religious right, they also represent a unilateral view of foreign policy, where the U.S. is unaccountable to anyone, and this has, and will, alienate us from our allies. We are slowly losing our status as a military superpower, and we can longer afford to act as the biggest bully on the playground and expect to survive.

McCain and Palin represent also a level of anti-intellectualism, which I think is fundamentally corrosive to our society. It is this mentality, that construes intellectualism to be elitist, that has caused our education system to fall behind most industrialized nations. It is this anti-intellectualism that has and will lead other countries to be on the cutting edge of science, technology, and military advancement.

Of course, both the belief that we are a chosen people that have the right to act unilaterally and the anti-intellectual spirit stem from Republican’s upholding the values of the Christian Right. Finally, judging by the McCain and Palin rhetoric concerning healthcare and our current financial malaise, they seem to still have faith that the invisible hand of the free market will rectify our ills, but our history has demonstrated that a free market, not managed by some government intervention, only leads to abuse and exploitation of the masses.

Honestly, if I could, I would vote for a third party candidate like Ralph Nader, or a libertarian. Unfortunately, none of the third party candidates have enough clout to be viable. Hence, Obama is the only reasonable choice from my vantage point.

• Acorn

(((((Linz)))))

Hey gorgeous! I'll be going for Obama. I'm not crazy about him and would be more enthusiastic to vote for him if he'd had made the right choice -- Clinton -- to be his veep. But that's a closed door at this time. You know me: short of a lobotomy, I'd never vote Republican. Because I'm a Christian, a follower of the teachings of Jesus Christ, I couldn't possibly vote for a member of the party that made greed and materialism into virtues, and who call themselves "God's Party" for only one reason: to get the votes from poor schmucks who don't realize that republicans are using God and religion to garner votes, while (if at all) going through the motions of "the good Christian" only while the cameras are trained on them.

We miss you in AOS!

ooxxx

hey Linz

That depends.

If the outcome in Oregon is predictable I will vote for a third party candidate. Why? Federal election funding to parties for the NEXT election cycle is determined by number of votes for that party in this election. I believe that America would benifit from a multiparty system.

If it's too close to call I will vote for Obama, I see him as a visionary leader and a community builder.

(((Linz)))

I'll be going for Obama, and the only religious reason for that is because I don't want that nutcase fundy, Palin, a heartbeat away from the presidency.

My overall reason is because Obama appears sane, rational, and able to go into challenging situations with a level head. We really need that.

As a veteran myself, I'd love to be able to vote for a vet, but alas... I think McCain is a worse liar than most politicians.

I'll be holding my nose and voting for McCain -- Call me foolish, call me irresponsible; but I have this irrational attachment to holding onto my own money and not seeing my town of residence disappear under a mushroom cloud.

• Char

I'm voting for John McCain.

That is honestly not based on my religious views though.

I am a staunch conservative.

I do not want big govt; do NOT want the govt running health care; believe in a strong military; etc., etc.

The change Obama will bring will leave only CHANGE in your wallet/purse!!

Nice to see you Linz.

GO HERD

<><

• blome

If we are in public, then probable as quickly as I see the milk moustache. If we are on my own or we are with a pair of close buddies, i'm going to probable leave him/her strolling around with a milk moustache. She/he will quickly locate out using my consistent giggles. So yeah. (:

• FROG E

I will be voting for John McCain. At a time that we are at war and so many other countries would like to see us dead....I want a strong military leader in the US.

I do vote for people with moral values. If none exist, I go with the one I feel is best to run this country

• Carrie

I am voting for McCain, and yes-- my reasons are influenced by my religion. I would not vote for anyone if I felt like it went against my judgement. There are so many reasons I am not voting for Obama...

Obama. Change is needed after a down Bush term & Obama is a great speaker who probably comes around once a generation.

And Palin is a joke. Seems like her speeches are rehearsed. I wouldn't want a president who is not ready on the spot.

Welcome back Linz

Source(s): Independent