What is it about being Chicago's 1997 CITIZEN OF THE YEAR that disturbs you so much about William Ayers?

Ayers is a classic example of an American who turned his life completely around. He is a highly respected community leader, and out of the millions of people who could have been chosen, he was Chicago's "Citizen of the Year" in 1997. I would have been proud to know the guy! (Those of you who claim to have "issues" with him are grasping at straws.It's really rather sad to see you acting like children who aren't getting their way.)

22 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Thank you for posting this question! I get so frustrated when I see right-wingers going nuts over this 'revelation' that Obama was 'palling around with' Ayers. So a meet and greet where Obama was chosen as Alice Palmer's successor was held at Ayer's home. Would that be so out of place, considering he was on the Chicago Public Board, and a highly esteemed member of the community?

You know, I imagine Obama, at the time, going 'hmm...William Ayers...that name sounds kinda familiar, but I just can't remember where I've heard it...'. Obama was just a little kid when Ayers was a member of the Weatherman.

And why is it that people are googling Ayers more then Keating? Because the video released by the Obama camp pretty much tells you all you need to know about Keating and his association with McCain. Ayers' involvement in Obama's life is much more obscure, and less relevent. Grasping at straws indeed.

McCain is swift boating this election, because he knows what it did to John Kerry in 04. Shame, really, as he needs to get all his information and facts straight before he goes pointing fingers. The polls and electoral college votes are showing that it isn't working, and he's up a creek without a paddle.

Source(s): Check out McCain's involvement with the Keating5 here: http://www.keatingeconomics.com/ More details about what both parties are up to: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601070&si...
    • Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Ayers is neither a close friend nor an adviser of Barack Obama’s. He has no involvement in Obama’s campaign. . . . The “association” of Obama and Ayers, as has been extensively documented, consists of (1) a 1995 meeting of Chicago political figures at which Obama appeared, which took place in Ayers’ home; (2) the fact that the two served together on the board of the Woods Fund, a charitable organization; and (3) the fact that the two attended six meetings of the board of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, a program funded by the late Walter Annenberg, a longtime Republican donor and Richard Nixon’s ambassador to Great Britain. Obama chaired the group’s board, and Ayers attended the meetings to brief the board on education issues. But as The New York Times reported on October 4, “the two men [Obama and Ayers] do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called ‘somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.’ ” Indeed, Obama was not in any way involved in Ayers’ actions in the late ’60s and early ’70s; Obama was between 8 and 11 years old at the time of the bombings in which Ayers said he participated as part of the Weather Underground.

Source(s): Charlie Black (heads McCain's campaign!! didn't just sit on a board with him like Ayers did) Phil Gramm Charles Keating G. Gordon Liddy Joe Vogler Neil Bush John Singlaub The list goes on and on
  • 3 years ago

Its a extensive concern in view that Ayers bombed the Pentagon, the Capital development, and the NewYork police branch. The Dems will provide the citizen of the year award to the Unibomber next in the event that they are able to ruin out with it!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Knowing who selects the CITIZEN OF THE YEAR in Chicago answers the question of why someone who stands on the American flag and is unrepentant about bombing his own government would be chosen. For many of us such a selection would not be an honor but a disgrace. William Ayers is an advisor to Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and is thought of as a revolutionary by same.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Apparently you haven't done the REST of your homework. And for ANYONE to give a domestic TERRORIST that MURDERED innocent people a citizen of the year award is an American Traitor, no better than Ayers or radical freak Obama.

Excerpt: But — unlike some other fringe figures of the era — they’re also flatly unrepentant about the bombings they committed in the name of ending the war, defending them on the grounds that they killed no one, except, accidentally, their own members.

Dohrn, however, was jailed for less than a year for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating other Weather Underground members’ robbery of a Brinks truck, in which a guard and two New York State Troopers were killed.

“I don’t regret setting bombs; I feel we didn’t do enough,” Ayers told the New York Times in 2001.

During the years Obama and Ayers palled around running the Chicago Annenberg Challenge, they failed to make ANY improvements in the schools, even after spending millions of dollars. THEY FAILED!! Obama wasn't a success then and he isn't now, other than proving that Saul Alinsky's Rules For Radicals works.

• David
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

The truth about the Ayers-Obama connection.

http://www.nationalledger.com/artman/publish/artic...

• 1 decade ago

It doesn't disturb me but I suppose that in America anything is possible. It reminds me of the old saying that old buildings and old prostitutes get respectable with age. I suppose William for those who voted for him felt that way. For others he wasn't actually following a christian example. Others thought as a domestic terrorist who conspired with others to use bombs to effect political change he deserved serious consequences.

• Bryan
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

William Ayres in his own words feels the Weathermen did not do enough. This was not stated in the 60's or 70's, but was rather uttered on 9/11/01. I do not call Ayres a terrorist because he was never convicted of anything, but there is little doubt in my mind that he is at the least a terrorist sympathizer who advocated violent overthrow of the government. That my friend is one step away from treason, but again I will not call him treasonous in absence of a conviction.

Edit. I didn't read your additional details until just now. The man is a terrorist sympathyzer. I do not have to grasp at straws, I have it in his own words. Support whomever you like, but don't call others children for stating facts which are only in dispute by those who do not wish to believe them like yourself.

• 1 decade ago

''I don't regret setting bombs,'' Bill Ayers said. ''I feel we didn't do enough.'' Mr. Ayers, who spent the 1970's as a fugitive in the Weather Underground, was sitting in the kitchen of his big turn-of-the-19th-century stone house in the Hyde Park district of Chicago.

2001 quote.

Nice try. Ayers is an unrepentent terrorist, and Obama likes him.

Obama's judgment in people is terrible.

• 1 decade ago

Acting like children? The man said after September 11th that he wished that he'd been able to do more back in his heyday.

Not only does that say a lot about Chicago, it says a lot about a person who would admire someone like this. People don't change their ideologies that much over time. They learn to hide their agendas better, that's all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.