Where is the best place to submit a manuscript for a children's book? ?

I've tried to send it to certain publishers, but they won't even read it.

• pj m
    Favorite Answer

Polly,

Children's books are very hard to get published these days, especially if you are a first timer and you're not a celebrity. Buy yourself a copy of Writer's Market for the current year. You'll find literary agents who represent the genre. Never send your manuscript directly to a publisher.

When I first started writing, I received a great many rejections. Some of them were hand written, some typed, but most of them were simply forms that everyone gets.

Don't be discouraged. Make sure you write a well written query letter and synopsis to the literary agent you choose. Many of them allow email queries.

Good luck!

Source(s): Published author.

Subscribe to Writers News and buy a copy of the Writers and Artists Yearbook.

Writers News is a monthly magazine for writers, and some of their news articles are really good- I found my publisher there.

W and A Yearbook is a comprehensive list of publishers and agents- go through them and pick out the ones that specialise in Children's fiction. If it's not clear what they publish then phone them and ask.

Don't be tempted to pay anybody to read your work- reputable places do this for free.

YOU WILL GET LOTS OF REJECTION- it's a sad fact that it is an extremely competitive industry. That said, everybody is desperate to find the next J.K. Rowling, so as long as you target the right people then your work will be read- at least the first few pages.

Good luck.

Rejection slips are part of every day life for authors, I am told! I was a journalist for more 50 years, so I know about them!

FIRST, send it to an Agent. He will tell you if it is good, bad, or indifferent. If he thinks it is good, he will probably send it round publishers himself, and you pay him a commission IF and WHEN the book is published

BUT -- NEVER self-publish. and ..

Keep on writing