care to recommend some good black and white movies for me?

i'm in one of my romantic moods...

just want a good movie to go with my quiet night alone.

Favorite Answer

Jezebel~Bette Davis and Henry Fonda

Camille~Greta Garbo and Robert Taylor

Born Yesterday~Judy Holliday and William Holden

Casablanca~Humphrey Bogart and Ingrid Bergman

Roman Holiday~Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck

Lady of the Tropics~Hedy Lamarr and Robert Taylor

Portrait of Jennie~Jennifer Jones and Joseph Cotten

The Apartment~Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine

Wuthering Heights~Laurence Olivier and Merle Oberon

A Place in the Sun~Elizabeth Taylor and Montgomery Clift

My Cousin Rachel~Richard Burton and Olivia de Havilland

Marie Antoinette (1938)~Norma Shearer and Tyrone Power

Sabrina~Audrey Hepburn, Humphrey Bogart and William Holden

The Misfits~Clark Gable (final film), Marilyn Monroe (final film), and Montgomery Clift

Bird of Paradise (1932)~Joel McCrea and Dolores del Rio (considered one of the most beautiful women ever in the movies)

Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans aka Sunrise (1927)~starring Janet Gaynor and George O'Brien~~If you can find this Silent movie, it's beautifully filmed and very touching, taking a relatively simple story and making it so much more.

One of the best is "It Happened One Night", which netted Oscars for Best Picture, Best Actor (Clark Gable), Best Actress (Claudette Colbert), Best Director and Best Screenplay~every award it was nominated for!

While some people are listing fantastic films, many of them are color, not black and white. If you ever want classic color, they've named some of the great ones. "Gone With the Wind" is at the top of that list, at least to me (and uncounted other fans).

• Zholla

Lost Horizon (1937)

A plane crash delivers a group of people to the secluded land of Shangri-La -- but is it the miraculous utopia it appears to be? My fave fantasy romance film of all time.

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)

Boxer Joe Pendleton dies 50 years too soon due to a heavenly mistake, and is given a new life as a millionaire playboy. My fave film period. Robert Montgomery and Evelyn Keyes are unforgettable....with an ending that has been copied thousands of times since.

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947)

In 1900, a young widow finds her seaside cottage is haunted...and forms a unique relationship with the ghost. A haunting moody atmospheric love story like no other. Stays with me for weeks after watching it.

Wuthering Heights (1939)

No words necessary.....Olivier and Oberon.

Now, Voyager (1942)

Bette Davis...is the bomb. Period.

Casablanca, The Philadelphia Story, Rebecca, Sun Valley Serenade, Mrs. Miniver, Laura, Meet Me In St. Louis, It's A Wonderful Life, Farmer's Daughter, Easter Parade...

I love "Holiday Inn" made in 1942. Watched it for the first time when I was about 12 (I'm only 28 now) and love it. Ginger Rogers, Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby. Actually, I'm pretty sure that that's the first time that the song "White Christmas" was in a movie. For the movie's summary, check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holiday_Inn_(film)

whilst no longer a romantic comedy Casablanca is unquestionably one in each and every of the superb Romantic and quotable video clips of all time and it does have humorous moments yet ah those scenes between Bogart and Bergman- Romance! additionally yet another Bogart movie is To Have and To have not- bogie and bacall sizzle without 4 letter words or flesh being reveled- snappy/beautiful banterings and that is exciting to observe as in actual existence the actors fell in love and have been married after the movie until eventually bogart's loss of existence It handed off one evening and The Phildelphia tale 2 Classics and Oscar award winners from the days of Hollywood previous Spencer Tracy and Katherine Heburn did various romantic comedies in the forties 50's extra cutting-edge- I cherished Nottingham Hill, while Harry Met Sally/Love definitely

There are lots of them. 'Inherit the wind' Spencer Tracy and Fredeick March. 'Witness for the prosecution' Marlena Dietrich, Tyrone Power and Charles Laughton. 'Now Voyagure' Bette Davis and Paul Henreid.

It's not necessarily a romantic film but "All About Eve" is one of the best films I've ever seen.

hm...

Bringing up Baby - with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn

It's a romantic/comedy

:)

• tulip

Roman Holiday, my favorite.

how about "My Fair Lady"?

A classic. wonderful story and actors.

check out imdb.com (the movie database)