Need help with Guild Wars?

Ive just quit WoW and want to play Guild Wars because i hate paying for WoW monthly. I want to know if Guild Wars is like WoW and if i could buy Nightfall i.e. and still have access to the other characters and etc. or if i have to buy all the other Guild Wars games to get all the different things. Please help me if you can, Id appreciate it.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Guild Wars does have a lot of similarities to WoW, largely because ArenaNet was founded primarily by a large chunk of Blizzard's Battle.Net team who felt that WoW should have been run through Battle.Net and could have been done without a monthly fee if it had been. I like to call Guild Wars "WoW Lite". That's not to say there aren't some fundemental differences:

1) The entire world is instanced. You meet up with people in towns (which are instanced into 'districts', but you can freely hop between the districts), then head out with your group into your own copy of the zones. When one person goes through a zone portal, your entire team goes through it. This also makes it impossible to PvP outside of the specially designated arenas.

2) The max level is 20, which you will get to well before the end of the first story you play through on a character. Small differences in level are almost meaningless, and it's easy to get near-perfect equipment. The idea is that farming for months can make you look cooler and maybe help you learn how to play better, but the only way to have a real advantage is to simply be a smarter and better player.

3) The entire game is designed for a full well-balanced party working as a team. Soloing is possible (and about the only way to farm efficiently) with certain builds of level 20 characters, but doesn't work for most areas. If you can't find a full party of players or don't want to, each town has NPC 'henchmen' you can bring along. They don't cost anything except the share of the loot a regular player would have been alloted (no options for changing loot assignments in GW). They aren't as powerful and in some ways not as smart as a normal average character, but they do have instantaneous reflexes.

4) You don't have base stats, but instead Attributes, which are sort of a halfway point between base stats and WoW Talents. The more points you put into them, the better those spells/weaponskills will be, and in the case of weapons, the higher percentage of the weapons base damage will be applied to your attacks. And just like WoW Talents, you never get enough points to come close to maxing them all out, so you have to plan out how you spend them (though you are free to change them around in town at any time for no cost). Each class has their own attributes, so while a Warrior gets things like Swordmastery and Tactics, Elementalists (GW version of WoW Mages) get things like Fire Magic and Earth Magic.

5) You can only bring 8 skills/spells with you outside of town. Your character will quickly learn 50 or so, and can potentially get over 200 I think, but you can only use 8 at any given time. Again, like Attributes, you can change these in town for free. When you combine you limit on skills with your limit on raising Attributes, you'll realize you have to plan ahead and build your character for a specific task within the concept of your team, but since you can change them for free, you can do different tasks at different times with the same character, and there's no way to screw up your character in a way that is difficult to fix.

6) You can dual-class. Technically, you are forced to dual-class, but that doesn't mean you are forced to make any use of your secondary. Your primary class determines the armor you can wear. Your armor determines what runes you can apply to your armor, which determines what attributes you can give boosts to (which can exceed the normal limit for attributes), so your attributes from your primary class can be raised to a higher point than the attributes of your secondary.

7) You can make PvP-only characters. These guys start out at level 20, can be equipped with any skills for their classes any of your other characters have found, and be given perfect equipment. But they are locked into the PvP arena areas. Most people keep one character slot on their account open for a PvP character, and treat them as temporary expendable characters. The idea is that is you have say a Warrior/Monk and a Necromancer/Ritualist, you can quick make a Monk/Necromancer to play around with in PvP and see how it works without having to level one up.

The original Guild Wars (now called Prophesies to try to avoid confusion), Factions, and Nightfall are all standalone expansions, so you can combine them all on one account and get all the content, or buy just one and play it. All three give access to the PvP arena islands. All three give access to the 6 core classes and the set of core skills for those classes (though each of the three also have skills for the core classes that can only be gained in that section), though Factions has two more classes, and Nightfall has two other additional classes. All three give access to a particular continent (a different continent for each one) and the story for that continent, but if you have more than one, your characters can travel between the continents.

• ADF
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Brink gave an excellent overview and comparison to WoW. I just thought I'd add a couple of small things.

He mainly based his explanation on the Prophecies world. Nightfall introduced two more things into GW then he points out.....Inscribable weapons and Heroes.

Inscribable weapons allow you to customize your weapons a bit more then in Prophecies.

Heroes were a major introduction in my opinion. These are customizable NPCs that level with you when you use them. So instead of being limited to just the Henchmen that are available in a particular area, you can use up to 3 of your Heroes at a time, and have partial control over their actions (have them fight anything they see, fight only when you do or to defend themselves, and avoid combat all together) You can have them cast certain spells, or target certain monsters also.

Also there is purely an expansion to Prophecies call Eye of The North (EoTN). It is similar to Nightfall (Great graphics, Heroes, Inscribable Weapons) but is directly linked to Prophecies storyline. If you go with Prophecies I suggest getting EoTN also, it is very good for Lvl 20 Play.

Have fun!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.