babe asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

is it normal for a dog to eat their own poop?

Update:

she is 6mns old ; english bulldog ; i feed her the most expensive stuff there is out there, twice a day; i have 2 other dogs that do not eat therir own poop or any others poop

34 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

yes it is quite normal for a dog to it its own poop and even other animals poop..Coprophagia is a condition that compels dogs to consume feces.

He may be hungry and has no access to real food.

You may be feeding a food lacking in sufficient nutrients and/or not appropriate for your particular dog.

The dog may be consuming feces out of boredom, loneliness, anxiety or stress.

Your dog might see others dogs eating poop. From this, they learn to eat poop too.

In some cases, your dog will eat poop by accident. Dogs are curious and will try to eat almost anything, including poop. Dogs explore the world through taste and smell, much more than humans.

It is possible that your dog wants to eat more than one time per day. If you only feed your dog once per day, and your dog eats poop, it could be an indication they want to eat more frequently.

and there are some other reasons as to why they eat their own poop

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You may read through all of these answers thinking, "All these answers sound good!" Well, even though I'm not going for the 10 points, I just want to give the best answer I could give you. First, it is normal. Second, it is very unhealthy for your dog. The poop contains bad things that the body can't use. Then the bad things get into your dog's body again, and this time it may not come out. Third, stop your dog. When you see your dog eating its poop, say "NO!!!" in a very loud voice and stomp your feet (not stepping into any poop). If that doesn't work, then hit it with a shoe or a newspaper. Not too hard, though, or it will cry. Just enough to teach it a lesson. Fourth, when your dog eats its own poop, it means that they are starving and is willing to eat their digested food again to survive.

I hope this helped!

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

is it normal for a dog to eat their own poop?

Source(s): normal dog eat poop: https://tr.im/qCt5k
  • 1 decade ago

Technically this is known as coprophagia. The behavior may be derived from the carnivorous (meat-eating) heritage of our pets. Carnivores frequently eat the internal organs and stomach contents (including poop) of the animals that they kill. As a result, eating the feces of other animals may be a normal extension of their carnivore behavior. There may be proteins and other nutrients in the feces that are eaten.

others may never do it. One theory is that it may be related to boredom or stress. Another is that it is related to digestive deficiencies. Neither theory has any support at the present time. No one really knows what causes it.

Controlling or stopping coprophagia is very difficult. Veterinarians can supply a substance that can be added to a dog’s food that makes the feces distasteful. Sometimes this is helpful. Most of the time, the best way to stop the behavior is to prevent the dog from getting to feces. Picking up soon after your dog has pooped can be the best way to prevent him from getting to his own feces.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, dogs do tend to eat their own poop because they think it taste good. If you want to get a dog to stop eating their poop, put pineapple in their dog food. when they, for a lack of better words, poop it out, it will taste bad to them.

• 1 decade ago

It happens to a lot of dogs but it's not good. It means that they are lacking in nutrients. Buy a better dog food or supplements.

If it is a puppy it could just be a bad habit that he picked up from his mother. Mama dogs tend to eat puppy feces and whatever other feces are out there too. Just pick up after the pup and he won't have the opportunity to eat it anymore.

Source(s): Breeder
  • 1 decade ago

Yes. To dogs poop smells like steak.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Interesting question...but anywho yes it normal i have seen and heard about many dogs eating their own poop. there is nothing to worry about

• 1 decade ago

it is normal, it can be driven by both medical and behavior issues. I would switch him to a premium food, preferably grain free high nutrition value then stop by the vet with a freash stool sample to rule out GI issues. I resolved my guys poop eating by adding some diced pineapple to his food for about two weeks, he treated the pineapple as a treat and stopped using his poop as a toy factory.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Yes, they do it to get more protein and minerals, and to balance the natural bacteria in their intestines. (and because they like it)

You can help avoid this by keeping their area tidy, and by feeding a good quality food. I used to work in a dog kennel, they will eat each others' poo too if you let them and that can make them very sick.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.