Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 1 decade ago

What is the best cordless drill/driver on the market?

I'm in the market for a cordless drill/driver. I would like to get one that is of superb quality and has as many applications as possible.

For example, I would like it to have a built-in level for both vertical and horizontal drilling. I wouldn't mind it having a light for use in dark places (e.g attic & basement). Also, I think an optional hammer feature may come in handy from time to time but isn't absolutely necessary.

I would prefer something well balanced with a comfortable grip. I'm not a professional contractor, but I am in the process of fixing up a house so the drill will see moderate use is the future.

I've read that when it comes to battery technology Lithium Ion is the way to go for a nice balance between power, weight, and longevity - or holding charge. I think an 18v Lithium Ion would be nice but am not dead set against considering something else - perhaps 14.4v.

I've looked at Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt. They all seem to make a nice product. Online searches say Panasonic makes a good one as well as Bosch. I'm torn. Any help from personal experience or even anecdotal is much appreciated.

Please offer your opinion regardless of price. Again, I desire a drill that has many of the above features and such a comprehensive drill/driver will have extreme value for me in the years to come whatever the price.

Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

The DeWalt 18v is a great drill durable and powerful.I own a kit.I also own a Ryobi kit. For the value and work load I will definitely recommend the Ryobi 18v lithium.If you do not plan on using it everyday and abusing it. It would be crazy to spend the money on Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt...Hope I could help.

Source(s): Electrician - 9 years

I have been through several different brands of cordless drills. Milwaukee, Porter Cable, Dewalt, Craftsman, Ryobi, and more that I cannot think of right now. For the best I have found is the Ryobi - One Plus system in the 18 Volt model. I recently purchased some of the lithium ion batterys for this hammer drill and they will last twice as long on the run time, charge faster, and seem to perform better. I have tried many different ones and my second choice would be Dewalt. The really nice feature about the One Plus Syatem is there are a lot of tools that these same batteries will work with. I highly reccomend this drill and battery system.

If you are going to use it heavily Makita, Milwaukee, and DeWalt all make quality cordless drills. I'm partial to DeWalts but there are plenty of people who swear by the other two brands. I haven't heard much about the Panasonic, and Bosch drills are OK but I wouldn't consider them contractor grade. Stay away from the Ryobis and Craftsmans, they are good for the average user but aren't designed for heavy use. I would recommend one with a 1/2 inch chuck, led for dark areas (you don't realize how handy it is until you need it), and a hammer drill so if you ever have to drill a couple holes in masonary and you're up 15' on an extension ladder you don't have to break out a cord.

You'll get a lot of answers. Basically get the top of the line for whatever make you select. Example, DeWalt's low end is low quality, too many plastic parts, including some of the chuck. The higher end is stronger, better made, and more meral parts.

Built in level? Why? Not really practical or needed. 18V has a LOT more power and duration than 14.4v. My DeWalt is almost 5 years old now and sees a LOT of use. I've gone through a few batteries, but the drill keeps od drilling....

I love the Makita impact drill/driver. However, not sure one tool is the answer to every job. Have had very good luck bringing a drill and an impact driver to a project. More expensive out of the gate, but very productive. Consider a brand offering multiple tools using common batteries. Lithium ion seems to be the best choice at 18v.

I agree with Richard D he is pretty much bang on. I have a Dewalt and a Makita and both used daily. Had both about 5 years now and they are still in good shape. My preference out of the two is the Makita for its balance. I know that Festool have a good reputation a mate has one and he swears by it. Don't know to much about panasonic to be honest. As Richard asks and I am curious of, why do you want a level on the drill?

Anyway, hope this helps

• heidel

Best Drill Driver

I have used about everything available over 22 years and I have yet to find a cordless that will hold up for more than a year in the trades.

I think the Panasonic out performs most of the brands mentioned here.

I know the Morton Building company, from my area, use Panasonic

exclusively.

A cordless dewalt 18v with hammer drill, adjustable clutch, reversing, and variable speed, and 1/2" speed chuck is most versatile. About $200 I,m a pro and have had mine for years already

• Anne

14