My cursor on my laptop won't move. How can I fix this?

I have restarted my computer many times and the cursor is still stuck in the middle of the screen. I HAVE inserted a USB mouse and it DOES work, but I am looking for a way (if possible) to fix the cursor.

• Angie
    Best Answer

You probably accidentally locked it. Look on your laptop's keyboard for a picture that looks like your mouse trackpad. Usually you hit the Function (Fn) key and that button to lock or unlock it. On some laptops, there is a button right above the trackpad to lock or unlock it.

• Ellen

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axV1q

The computer hasn't frozen right? The cursor is just motionless but the keys still work and can interact with Vista? If that's the case then it's possible that she knocked the touchpad's connector loose, which means taking your laptop apart to push it back into its socket. Something else to try just to be sure would be to find a USB mouse and to plug that in and verify that the cursor moved. If so, then you would know that your track pad was to blame before tearing it all apart. I'm not exactly sure where the touchpad plugs into the motherboard, but I assume that it's on the keyboard's side of the motherboard, meaning you couldn't simply remove the back plate. EDIT: Sassafras is correct too. There is a button located around your touchpad that enables and disables the touchpad. Click it and then try again.

• mortin

Cursor Lock

Mouse Locked On Laptop

FOUND THE ANSWER! THIS WORKS :)

It took me a while to find the back door to success... Viola! Here you go, try this trick.

1) Press the CTRL key and then the ESC key.

2) Use the Up/Down and Side to Side ARROW KEYS to Navigate to the CONTROL PANEL. Press ENTER.

BTW, you need to keep using the Up/Down and Side to Side ARROW keys to Navigate, and use the ENTER button to execute YES/OK and proceed.

3) Go into PROGRAMS AND FEATURES or Add/Remove Programs. UNINSTALL the "Pointer Device" by Right Clicking on it. Press Enter.

For Example. mine is called "Synaptics Pointer Device Driver".

Once you uninstall that, your Cursor Pointer should unfreeze and work again.

There s nothing you have to do after it unlocks. However, if you want, you can have some real fun re-installing the pointer device driver just to be kool.

I actually re-installed all the drivers except the Audio and Video drivers just because I could LOL

C:/SWSetup/Drivers/TouchPad

Click on your TouchPad driver Setup.exe ... Simple as that.

Cheers!

• Mikky2 years agoReport

Perfect!
      It worked like magic.
      Many thanks.

Strange problem. i have seen it were people have worn down their touch pads to not work as well, but to totally stop is strange.

Before i would go buying parts, although it is highly unlikely that this is the case, i would make sure you have all the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

2nd thing i would try. SOME laptops have a function on the keyboard that literally swaps the control of the mouse to external or internal. its usually activated by pressing the special function key. its like a calculator were you will have different colors on your keyboard that can only be activated by pressing a Fn key first. its usually like Fn + F1-12. its possible that you just accidentally pressed it one day.

The 3rd possibility is that somehow you or a jolt has disconnected the ribbon cable that attaches your touch pad to the laptop's motherboard. i have seen this, but not without a tech having touched it first. this would involve opening it up and tracing any ribbon cables going to the touch pad.

if the case is that it is worn down the bone, the only solution would probably be to replace the top bezel of the laptop were the touch pad is attached. just about every manufacture has a parts section to their website...parts.hp.com ..etc

good luck!

• Ray5 years agoReport

I pressed the fn + f1& f2, it seems to solve the problem. Thank you! You've save someone nightmare. Ray(GQ).

I have an ACER laptop, had this problem. The person below who said you probably just locked it was exactly write. For my computer, Acer Aspire M, it is Function key and F7. The F7 key has a picture of a figure pointing at a touch pad.

• Andy5 years agoReport

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I have an ACER. My cat walked across the keyboard and disconnected the cursor. I connected a mouse to the laptop and found your post. Fixed it immediately. Thanks again.

On my Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 8, I clicked on the F5 function key and it started working again.

That's interesting

1

• Olga

Reset it this way: Unplug it and take the battery out then push the power button (it won't start up of course). Now put the battery back in and turn your laptop back on & hopefully that does the trick.