Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Saddi asked in TravelAsia PacificTaiwan · 1 decade ago

Is it advisable to go Taiwan in December? The weather, the crowd...?

I know the best recommended time is October, but i can only make it in December this year. Is it wise to go in December? Cause it's winter, will everything be shut down and slow moving so i can't see the most of Taiwan?!

I am going for holiday and it's late December. T

Favorite Answer

It will be cold, because places don't have central heating. If its 10 degrees outside it will be ten degrees inside. The activity level will be the same as ever. It only slows down during the Chinese New Year week, and then only in the big cities because a lot of people go home or to tourist places like Kenting and Hualien.

"Fishfren" (the person who answered first) has some information that is not correct. Taiwan is not communist--it is a modern, prosperous democracy. Christmas is evident all over the place--in stores and in the streets. There is freedom of religion in Taiwan, and many people are Christians--especially the Aboriginal folk. Go to Taiwan, and be safe. There are a lot of good reasons to be there.

I have been there in December. Everything was fine, nothing was "shut down". I thought the weather was nice, between 55 to 65 F.

And now a comment to FiShFrEnZy. You are ill informed and should not give such irresponsible answers to people, they might believe you. Taiwan is not a Communist Country. They are a democracy, and have NEVER been Communist. When Mao took over Mainland China, Chang Kai Shek and his followers moved to Taiwan so they wouldn't have to live in a Communist country.

They DO have freedom of religion there, and it is certainly not dangerous to be a Christian there. They are very tolerant. Although they will have Christmas decorations up in many public areas, it is not the main religion there. They mostly have Buddhist Temples, rather than Churches.

The people there are very friendly. I have never liked the native food there, but in Taipei there are McDonalds, Subway, Starbucks, Pizza Hut, etc. Many of the people speak a little English, and the business people usually speak fairly decent English. The hotels and restaurants are typically cheaper than those in the US.

You have never been to Taiwan and you obviously don't know a thing about it.

December is a great time to come to Taiwan. If you don't like hot and humid weather. It will be a bit cooler outside. Since it only snows maybe once a year in the mountains and very lightly nothing closes down. When you come here look at the people wearing the heavy coats, pants and slippers with bare feet that makes me smile. Enjoy.

Have a good time.

Regards,

Source(s): Been there.

Hi - you will have a blast in Taiwan in December. I am not sure where you are going from but weather is relatively warm in Taiwan (compared to here in SF). Plus, most places do NOT shut down... the only time most business shut down is during Chinese New Year and that is not until late Jan / early Feb.

That is actually a GREAT time to visit Disney World! The Thanksgiving crowds will have left, and the Christmas crowds won't be in town yet... Which means park attendance should be at one of the lowest points of the year. Also, the parks will be decorated for Christmas, which is quite beautiful. As for weather, you can typically expect weather to be anywhere from about 70*F to about 80*F. The rainy season is over (not to say that it won't rain at all) and it won't be unbearably hot and humid; although you should still be able to go swimming if you'd like. It tends to get more chilly at night during that time of year, but the pools in Disney World will be heated.

Don't worry as Taiwan is not North America or Europe where winter holidays means "sleeping" holiday. Taiwan does not observe Christmas closing, so during late December, Taiwan is very vibrant and full of Christmas lightings but still in working condition and not sleeping condition. Things in Taiwan will still move on and fast even on Christmas Day, so don't worry as its a big day for them to make money, not to loose money, so they will certainly be opened then. Remember that Taiwan doesn't snow, just like Australia and Carlifornia during winter season. So put your head to rest and have fun. Welcome to Taiwan, btw.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axpOL

l agree with the other poster. Once you are past Thanksgiving week the parks are quiet until just before Christmas. You should not encounter any real crowds on weekdays. This is a good time to hit the rides that usually have long waiting times. Unless we have a weird weather week you should be very comfortable in the daytime & at most, need a sweater at night. As a bonus, the parks are all decorated for Christmas & you will get to see everything while it is all fresh & new.

take the advice from everyone else who knows what they're talking about. i have family in taiwan. i'll be there in december also. i've been there two other times (mostly summers) but not winter so it'll be my first winter there. there's a lot of rain in october. it's usually typhoon season until mid-december. december is probably a better time to go if you don't want to deal with that. be sure to check out the hot springs. they're located throughout taiwan.

I was in Taiwan December 2004 and it was so cold, really. Around 10 degrees Celsius and no heating. Night time I slept in tracking suit, bed cover plus sleeping bag so I would not freeze.

But besides this, I love Taiwan, it is such a great country and I can recommend anyone to visit. It's worth a visit all year round!

...still I prefer the summer...

having been there in other moments, for me winter is the best possible time to go to taiwan. no particularly heavy rains since there are no typhoons around and above all no hot weather to deal with. teperatures will be just perfect for going around and enjoy the place. xmas is not a holiday so everything is running all ok.