promotion image of download ymail app

Tone Mark help for Chinese ?

Ok so I'm a little lost on tone marks and stuff.

I know that there are four tones. But can you tell me what tone mark goes to which tone? Please and thank you.

1 Answer

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    First tone, or high-level tone (陰平/阴平 yīnpíng, literal meaning: yin-level): a steady high sound, as if it were being sung instead of spoken.

    Second tone, or rising tone (陽平/阳平 yángpíng, literal meaning: yang-level), or linguistically, high-rising: is a sound that rises from mid-level tone to high (e.g., What?!)

    Third tone (low or dipping tone, 上聲/上声 shǎngshēng or shàngshēng, literal meaning: "up tone"): has a mid-low to low descent; if at the end of a sentence or before a pause, it is then followed by a rising pitch. Between other tones it may simply be low.

    Fourth tone, falling tone (去聲/去声 qùshēng, literal meaning: "away tone"), or high-falling: features a sharp fall from high to low, and is a shorter tone, similar to curt commands. (e.g., Stop!)

    Anyhow they would look like this ā á ǎ à

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.