Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why do some Christians think that if the Apostle Paul says something, they don't have to believe it?

2 Tim 4:3

For the time will come when people will not tolerate healthy doctrine, but with itching ears will surround themselves with teachers who cater to their people's own desires.

Now that we got the mindset Christians should be in out of the way, why do Christians think they can't not believe the Apostle Paul of certain things, and well you know, still be Christian?

And please, no "Because it means to believe in Jesus" type of answers. Paul was chosen by Jesus, so technically, if you don't believe Paul, you don't believe Jesus right?

Paul wasn't, but it would appear that he was the most vocal of them all. Except for probably James, but James died. :)

Hey Robin, are you Christian yet?

That Judas thing is different thought Robin. :)

Favorite Answer

Maybe because they actually follow Jesus. You should try it sometime. It is called Christianity after all.

Besides, people only had Paul's word that he was "chosen" since there were no other witnesses. Judas was actually chosen by the "living" Christ. Does that mean that Christians are supposed to do what he did too. See how your statement is flawed?

Edit: No I'm not and no it isn't. If you consider one Apostle to be speaking for Jesus, then you "have to" consider all of them speaking for Jesus too. If not then you are cherry-picking as usual.

Why do others with Peter, James, Or the Gospels?

It makes me wonder if they think Christ was divided, or his Apostles were Anti-Christ (against christ) or somehow ignorant of the message of salvation..... Basically it is egotism speaking, as if scripture was written only for their understanding, or that salvation is on their terms and not Gods........

Non-scriptural doctrines which go against the words of Christ and his Apostles are a dime a dozen these days. Paul is used to describe the Romans Road, which itself ignores the REST of the book of Romans, which same book shows... Paul is even pitted against Paul.

Why?

Who is the author of confusion?

The answer to that simple scriptural question denotes the author of the confusion you ask about.

Here is a section of verse from Paul almost never quoted....ever.

It denounces and curses every quote unquote inspired person who has invented a doctrine since the first century when it was written.

Gal 1:6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:

Gal 1:7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.

Gal 1:8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Gal 1:10 For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.

Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

And this one:

1Ti 6:3 If any man teach otherwise, and consent not to wholesome words, even the words of our Lord Jesus Christ, and to the doctrine which is according to godliness;

1Ti 6:4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,

1Ti 6:5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

So I ask you, why is Paul becoming unpopular?

Paul Andrulis

Source(s): KJV

Your right, Paul was commissioned by Jesus to preach the word not only to the Jew but to the genital. He was the most learned of all the apostles Peter said that brother Paul was hard to understand at times but that was because he was so learned about the old testament which was the only bible they had at the time LOL Paul wrote most of the new testament in fact. A lot of pew potato Christians want to follow what is best for them and not the word. We all fall short but we all must try.

Paul was a self important, self proclaimed apostle. Who did not go along with the leaders and lied to his members.He made up rules as he went along, and the fact that he hated women makes him a little suspect. Paul started out as a persecutor, so he was`t committed to anything ,but that which promoted him.

Would you let you kids hang out with a bunch of unemployed guys who wanted to start a cult devoted to a criminal who was put to death by the state.These guy experienced visions, and talked about circumcision all the time.They didn't` seem to have much family life and walked from town to town telling people to love one another.

• thum

exceptionally lots all of us has responded your question with a version of "i like Paul and his teachings," yet no longer a single one has given even a quick quote, commentary, or asserting that makes Paul certainly one of those super guy to them. This makes me suspect that none of them relatively be attentive to a damn difficulty with regard to the epistle of Paul. I do consider a pair of the dissenters right here. the guy became a misogynistic freak. Why are lots of girls human beings nevertheless Christians, whilst the faith itself is so sexist?

Well, healthy doctrine is rationally evaluating scripture.

Rationally, we have to assume that all scripture is imperfect and flawed because humans wrote it, edited it, translated it, etc.

Every time sinful humankind touches anything, it of necessity is no longer perfect.

So if you assume any part of scripture MUST be perfect, that dog won't hunt, my friend.

Paul expressed his opinion, and that opinion, like the opinion of you or me, is subject to all kinds of errors: mistaken impressions, willful distortions, bigoted stereotypes, etc.

Also, you need to consider very carefully the wisdom of trying to accomplish anything by cherry-picking one verse out of context and trying to drive a conclusion from it.

I respectfully suggest that you carefully and prayerfully meditate and consider the meaning of your own question. If you are lucky, you might actually realize the correct answer.

I find it interesting that Paul was "chosen" by Jesus when it clearly states that Paul was out persecuting christians when he was struck off his horse. "Christians" didn't exist until after jesus died. But then facts have never been your strong suit.

Your right -- Also when Hitler spoke its was required belief-- And every one knows beliefs = reality +++++ without that how can anyone start a cult -- David Koresh-- Jim Jones --- Great listening junk--And I like following two leader -- Especially opposite ones --I can take both sides then --That way my beliefs can contradict each other and I never know it ---PRAISE OG--- I AM REBORN

• Paul was NOT the ONLY Apostle, you focus too much on paul!.

I have often wondered this very thing myself. The Apostle Paul said SO MANY, MANY valuable things for us to apply today. To ignore his, is to ignore Jesus, and ultimately ignore God.

Anyone who calls themselves a Christian, but picks and chooses what they want to apply (or not), are not true Christians.