Almost finished with my teacher license in language arts 7-12...?

I am almost finished with completing my licensure for 7-12 in language arts and have started taking a couple classes for my masters in special education. My question is, do you know if I would be able to get hired (in Ohio) as a special education teacher, even though I will have my license in 7-12 language arts. I know some have said that you could get a provisional license to teach a certain subject while you're working on a masters, but I would like to know for sure. Please help!

Favorite Answer

You would need to check with the Ohio department of education. As a general rule, however, because of the No Child Left Behind law, teachers have to be certified in the subject area that they teach in. Here in Florida, you can be hired but you have one school year to get the required certification or you will not be re hired. Most states have similar provisions. But again, check with the Ohio education department.