breathing exercises & techniques for Singing?

what are some pre-singing; during-singing techniques & exercises you've been picked up from singing teachers or just personal experience? i know about the semi-warm water and breathing deeply but not much other than that, all tips are hugely appreciated.. thanx so much xoxoxxx

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

...............i have private singing lessons.............

1... we always do warming up

put one hand on ya stomach

and one hand under ya rib cage

normally when people try to breath they breath up and from there chest

breath in and out through your sstomach

when you bbreath inin your sstomachshouls expand then breathin out vice versa

2..... try and do some exersises with your mouth to warm it up (e.g pretend yuo are chewing a toffeee make big actions)

3..back to breathing ly down n put books on ya stomach it will make you get used to breathing at the bottom of ya body then the top

4... try looking at the scale and go up like 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 1= low then tery makeing your voice go hight up the scale

5. try doing this

then when you feel like you have done enough try singing a song suiting your voice

good luck for the future!!!!!!!!!!1

• 4 years ago

For warming up, sing "I love to sing" which covers all of your basic vowel sounds. Also, start on a high note and slide downwards over an octave, similar to an ambulance siren. For breathing exercises, take a quick, surprise breath and hold it for 12 beats on a hiss. Also, practice holding a note as long as you can (target length is 24 beats, but try to improve from there).

• 4 years ago

It's very possible to learn to sing well. You just need to know the right methods. Learn here https://tr.im/LqQYR

Singing teachers will cost money and can be expensive so they're not for everyone. Singing can be learned so it's not an "either you have it or you don't" kind of thing.

Whether you sound like crap or you're decent, I recommend this singing course. It's one of the best methods to learn to sing well in a short amount of time. It's all about using efficient techniques that work.

• 1 decade ago

before singing, vocalize. you might've already heard of it. and, use your diaphragm. your breaths should be pulled from it, and NOT from your chest. when you inhale air, and your shoulders do NOT raise, it indicates proper breathing. try breathing while lying on bed. notice that your "tummy" moves up and down, and not your shoulders. practice doing it that way. another thing, get to know your speaking voice and your singing voice. i don't really know how to explain it here, but those two are different. try talking while holding your chest. if it vibrates, it means you're not singing. this actually doesn't matter for most singers nowadays but it's still better to use it because is it necessary to create a powerful sound or voice. i've got a lot more, but it's kinda hard to type everything. hope these helps.

Source(s): former choir singer
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I'd suggest buying or downloading Seth Riggs' "Speech Level Singing."

Your vocal range, timbre and power should all noticeably improve if you work on those exercises over a few weeks.

And no, I'm not selling this product!

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

The thing about breathing for singing is that is MUST be coordinated with what your vocal cords are doing! While silent breathing exercises do have their place, they don't necessarily have a carryover into actual singing; there is no guarantee that you will know how to maintain that coordination once you begin vocalizing.

With that said, silent breathing exercises are good for strengthening your respiratory system in general and also for becoming aware of your breathing habits. The exercise that _coldhands_ mentioned about putting one hand on your chest and the other on your belly and making sure your chest doesn't rise is one such breath awareness exercise. A good one for strengthening your respiratory system is what I call The Balloon Squat, which I demonstrate here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beJB5tSpEt4

Youtube thumbnail

Now, on to the breathing exercises which will directly help your singing. You need to actually vocalize while doing these exercises. What you are doing here is learning to coordinate the movements of your respiratory system with what your vocal cords are doing. As you are singing, you should feel a sense of expansion where your love handles are. You should also feel this as you are ascending in pitch and when singing more loudly. You want to apply this idea to any scales or songs you sing. I demonstrate how to do all of this in the following video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxB2792Gq6w

Youtube thumbnail

Note that if at any time the sound becomes breathy or airy, it means that your breathing is no longer being coordinated with what your cords are doing. Focus on keeping the sound clear.

For more such breathing exercises, visit http://www.vocalliberation.com/articles

Source(s): I'm a voice teacher
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.