How strong was Sarah Palin's involvement with the anti-American secessionist party?

Sarah Palin's husband was an official member of the Alaska Independence Party for many years, which wants Alaska to secede from the United States and become its own country.

But how strongly involved was she? She was not an official member, but, according to their Vice Chairman, she was only a registered Republican so that she could "infiltrate" public office for them:

“Our current governor, we mentioned at the last conference, the one we were hoping would get elected, Sarah Palin, did get elected. ... And there was a lot of talk about her moving up. She was an AIP member before she got the job, but to get along and go along — she eventually joined the Republican Party."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NK2sFJebGc

Youtube thumbnail

He says that she is "pretty well sympathetic“ to their cause. How sympathetic? I know she participated in their conventions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwvPNXYrIyI

Youtube thumbnail

Her party's founder said things like "I'm an Alaskan, not an American. I've got no use for America or her damned institutions" and "The fires of Hell are glaciers compared to my hate for the American government."

Wanting to leave America seems like the definition of "un-American" to me...

Please watch the Youtube links. They aren't third-party analysis; they're videos of the AIP Vice Chairman and of Palin herself.

Favorite Answer

i do not in any way support mccain or palin. i will say that this is very old news, that she participated in the radical group for a very short time, and the whole situation has been blown out of proportion.

do i think she is an idiot? absolutely. do i think she is prepared to the the vice president of the united states? absolutely not. do i think she should go back to wasilla and leave us alone? of course. but i do not think she wants alaska to succeed from the us anytime soon.

>>"She was an AIP member before she got the job, but to get along and go along — she eventually joined the Republican Party."<<

Eventually? Voter records show she has been a Republican since she was 18:

"Gail Fenumiai, director of the Alaska Division of Elections, tells ABC News that regardless of the impression given to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 'Gov. Sarah Palin first registered to vote in the state in May 1982 as a Republican, and she has not changed her party affiliate with the Division of Elections since that time.'"

http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpunch/2008/09/me...

Her husband Todd is an official member. As the smearing right claims about Obama, if you sleep with dogs you get fleas. So I'm guessing she's got fleas.

i don't know how strong, but thomas jefferson said

"every constitution then, and every law, naturally expires at the end of nineteen years. if it is to be enforced longer, it is an act of force, and not of right."

i'd say it's about time for a revolution against those morons in washington.

• IceT

Non existant. This has been already proven to be BS.

By the way youtube isn't a reliable source.

Yeah she probably was pretty sympathetic, but I wouldn't say she's un-American. They are trying to restore America to what it was before, but they kind of saw what is happening right now, and didn't like it, so they wanted to be independent.

she is 2 faced thats it.

Yes just like the confederates did

Apparently not much since I haven't heard about that one yet.