Yes,I know the method because i have done that rightly!
You don't need to spend tons of money on expensive cleaners to remove tarnish from your costume jewelry, when you can use toothpaste? Most costly costumer cleaners include a mixture of baking soda and water, which is similar the formulas used in most tubes of toothpaste. Not only will using toothpaste save you money, it is also non-toxic and easy to clean up.
1. Choose the right toothpaste. The key to using toothpaste as a costume jewelry cleaner is the baking soda. Do not use gel toothpaste, as it usually does not contain baking soda. And, avoid toothpastes that boast tartar-control or whitening power, as they may include chemicals that can harm your silver.
2. Use a soft dampened cloth to clean more delicate jewelry or softer silvers. Wet the silver and add a dab of toothpaste. Remember that a little goes a long way. Rub gently with the moistened cloth until polished.
3. Add a bit more toothpaste if the cloth becomes dark with tarnish and continue cleaning. Simply wash the darkened toothpaste foam from the jewelry piece, rinse the cloth and begin again.
4. Scrub your costume jewelry gently with a toothbrush for stubborn tarnish or hard to reach grooves. Try to find an old worn toothbrush or buy a new soft-bristled toothbrush to prevent scratching.
5. Rinse the polished costume jewelry in warm water and dry with a soft towel.
Tips & Warnings
* Toothpaste is an effective cleansing agent not just for your costume jewelry but also for your larger silver pieces.
* While toothpaste may be the best and most economical method for cleaning costume jewelry, it can be abrasive and may scratch more delicate silver items. Always test a small area first, in order to determine whether your jewelry piece should be cleaned with toothpaste or not.