Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceTeaching · 1 decade ago

Why don't teachers get respect?

I am asking this because I am not only studying Elementary & Secondary English Education, but I want to be a teacher (either elementary/high school) & realize that schools are often viewed as a "glorified day care centers" for all ages (K-12). I honestly have a heart to teach kids how to read & write, especially children in lower-income communities. Do you think that teachers these days get respect or is there a lack of respect for them as educators?

Tell me your thoughts.

Favorite Answer

I agree with you, and the same situation exists in bothe Europe and Australia, where I have worked as a teacher in high school.

The lack of respect comes from societal changes over the past 30 years or more where school aged children have been allowed to challenge teachers' authority, and this comes from both the parents and the wider society. Social engineering has led to the idea that any sort of physical punishment is totally evil, and that respect need to be earned, it an never be assumed.

This second point is the key: children enter their teenage years very aware of the world and told constantly through advertising and other sources that they are empowered in many ways. They also learn that teachers generally need to earn their respect, and are not usually mature enough to realise that respect is a two way street. I have rarely had issues with discipline in my classes, but I have had endless issues both with educational bureaucrats and parents. The former presume to tell teachers what to do in the classroom, in terms of discipline, yet have no classroom experience themselves. The latter often side with their child when it comes to issues these days, and the teacher is just a servant with no authority.

What got me through the difficult times as a teacher (and it was usually the politics of classroom teaching paradigms and discipline that caused the most stress was something you mention: passion and vision for what I wanted to do. I derive sespect from self, the rsults of my students, and the rightness of what I do. I constantly self-reflect and try and correct what I do as well. There is still a societal burden placed on teachers as key figures in raising the next generations, and I accept this, but I do question the tendency for society (in the west anyway) to denigrate teachers somewhat. A lot of this has come, in my opinion at least, through diminution of the importance of family, and a tendency to shift parental roles to teachers: it is we that teach them to get along in society, to have respect for tohers and themselves, more and more. Many young people lack good role-models at home, even in two-parent stable families either because the parents always need to work, or they have that atitude that a lot of parenting now needs to be done by the school.

Th "glorified daycare centre" thing can arise in some areas, and especially in relation to some schools.

Keep your passion, inspire it and hold on to it. despite the issues I have raised, and the concerns, I think everyone who has a desore to teachshould develop that gift.

EDIT:

My main concern with the respect issue, upon further reflection, also includes what society and educational bureaucrats, social enginners and politicians expect of teachers. Are we to be imparters of both knowledge and skills as well as social developers with a parental role? I think there has been too much of a tendency in many places to use teaches to mould students into a certain form, but not equip them with the skills and attitudes necessary for their life after school. Employers want competent, communicative workers. As an employer myself, it is that simple. I care not whether someone has "found themselves", though I do foster a healthy workplace, relationally as well as in terms of safety, but I do find an increasing number of young people lack focus and drive to use their skills.

A fostered sense of entitlement in children by an educational system that refuses to tell young people that they can be held to blame and account for mistakes. That infractions can earn a punishment or some other form of censure in the adult world comes from an apparent lack to teach young people that not all consequences of actions and mistakes in the wider world will be painless must be taught.

Source(s): 12 years teching from Grade 1 to 12, and latterly as a senior science teacher of physics and chemistry.

b/c kids hate someone else telling them what to do...or they think they know everything that they don't need to learn. education is seen more like a requirement now than in the past where it was a privilege. of course it's generalizing to say we should appreciate all our teachers, some teachers really are bad. The good ones in elementary school are usually the ones who can teach a lot and make it fun.

i've been to schools in low economic income levels, so i've seen a fair amount of disrespect for teachers. I think the behavior comes from their home environment and neighborhood.

Ok lets get this straight your a kid, they are a teacher an elder you respect authority and elders They are giving you an education,for free.They have to put up with stupid kids like you all day,for little pay,and they have to plan the education of maybe 100-200 students.And even though they do SO much they get little respect from students while in other countries students would bow down to their feet,respect them,pay them for anything,give them anything for just a few words of advice/learning.What do you do?

It depends on so many things.....who you ask, what the expectations are, school system (program, if the head of it gets respect, etc.).

At the end of the day, teaching (whether public / private and whatever school system) boils down to one thing: did the teacher meet the parents', students', and even employers' (depending on age) expectations in teaching to further them in life?? They're the only ones you can actually ask if the respect is warranted or not. Then you have your answer. After all, that's why all teachers are there.

The answer is BAD PARENTING!

I got my high school teaching credential in 2006 after doing a semester of student teaching at a local public high school. BOY what a nightmare! Now I don't want to work in a public school at all. Most of the kids were MONSTERS! No parents came to Open House nights and my kids' schools are really close by but in another district from this school - and we parents ALL show up for every event in my kids district. Some parents are just unsuited for raising kids. Some neighborhoods are destructive as well. We need to bulldoze bad neighborhoods and scatter the dysfunctional families into middle class areas where they can learn decent behaviour.

I feel as though I am respected and our school is respected. However in lower economic areas or areas where education is seen as less important, I can see how teachers may not have the respect they deserve...especially in upper grades, and how they may appear to be glorified child care centers...especially in lower grades.

I act as though I deserve respect. Because I do. I get it. I give my students and their parents respect, because they deserve it too.

Source(s): 1st grade teacher

It's not a lack of respect as an educator that creates the disrespect, it's the fact that teachers render judgment on an individual's work--a clear violation of the "It's not my fault" philosophy. Add to that the fact that teachers are not often supported by administrators who make inane rules and expect the teachers to enforce them.

• Shawn

I think that respect has a lot to do with salary. Lawyers don't save lives, but they get as much respect as doctors because they get paid as much. Teachers get paid very little by comparison, and consequently are respected very little. That's a capitalist society for you.

Ever since they took the bibles out of the classrooms the schools have gone down the toilet. My mother was a teacher and my step mother was and she said since they took it out it has not been the same.