What political party was Martin Luther King Jr.?

I always thought he was democrat but I've been doing some research and I see several sources say otherwise. I also investigated the voting rights act of 1965 and for the first time, against all popular belief realized that it was the republicans that brought the bill out of the committe in which it was stuck for quite a while to have a house and senate floor vote. Now I'm not so sure. Can somebody please tell me whether Martin Luther King was democrat or republican and also give me proper evidence? Wikipedia doesn't say anything.

Best Answer

Republican, though he never sought office.

Edit: Ok- here's the skinny. I read a couple articles, as your question intrigued me. King was a registered Republican, as most southern blacks were in the 50s and 60s. The Democrats were a very different party then, being labeled the "Dixiecrats," big supporters (and often members) of the KKK, in favor of continued segregation, against legislation that would help blacks, etc. As a Democrat, I am pretty embarrassed at this aspect of our party's history.

However in 1960, King was arrested for participating in a massive sit-in. At the same time, JFK was making his run for president. King's father, fearing that someone might act on one of the hundreds of death threats that were being made, requested that Kennedy use his rising influence to have MLK released. Civil rights was not really one of JFK's key issues, but he received a very large boost in popularity for taking up this issue (Especially in the more populated North) It was rumored that MLK senior promised JFK 10 million votes in exchange for his son's freedom and a focus on civil rights in the campaign. Many cite this specific event as the biggest migration ever of blacks to the Democratic party (Today of course, Blacks are the strongest demographic in the Democratic party based on percentage)

So to sum-up, King was a Republican, like most blacks before 1960, but his relationships with democratic leaders like JFK and RFK and Lyndon Johnson made him publicly endorse these candidates. For the support King gave them, and the literally millions of people King brought with him, most of these Democrats were very good in following through with action during the civil rights movement. So while King was most certainly a Republican, it could be argued that he invented the "Black Democrat" as we know it. Republican or Democrat, King was one of the most respected men of the 20th Century. I would say that putting any label of party affiliation kinda distracts from what his message and fight really was. More that anything, he was incredibly gifted at bringing all people together when it came to civil rights

Sorry this turned into a dissertation, I just think it is a wonderful question, especially during this current election where partisanship is so strong and the issue of race is a large underlying factor in it all.

Source(s): Master's degree in American History - 5 years of teaching the stuff! One good article I read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/artic...
    • Garret2 years agoReport

The Democrats were very bad about giving the right to vote to the black. Also, the parties never switched. That is a myth and big lie. The Democrats did change for the better. But the Republicans gave blacks the vote. Check out Dinesh D'Souze's book "The Big Lie". It is very good.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I always thought he was democrat but I've been doing some research and I see several sources say otherwise. I also investigated the voting rights act of 1965 and for the first time, against all popular belief realized that it was the republicans that brought the bill out of the committe in which...

Source(s): political party martin luther king jr: https://biturl.im/VOIHZ

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/AWCwj

It should come as no surprise that Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was a Republican. In that era, almost all black Americans were Republicans. Why? From its founding in 1854 as the anti-slavery party until today, the Republican Party has championed freedom and civil rights for blacks. And as one pundit so succinctly stated, the Democrat Party is as it always has been, the party of the four S's: Slavery, Secession, Segregation and now Socialism.

Martin Luther king is a Republican because the Democrats supported slavory his father and his grandfather all were Republicans because of slavory in 1865

This president so epitomizes the Democratic Party. MLK was a Republican, first and always and too many supposed quotes of his have been written in the intervening years to deny this one simple fact. LBJ said and was recorded as saying, "I ll have those ******* voting Democrat for the next 200 years." while signing social program legislation that would tie the blacks to the inner cities and keep them poor and disenfranchised. Obama has done so much more for the Democratic Party with HIS lies and promises, including my favorite, "If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor...PERIOD!" (Wow, you really bit down on that hook, line and sinker, didn t you?) that I think it more likely a THOUSAND years will pass before we actually find one of those pre-Common Core history books detailing the Democrats creation of the KKK, segregation, Jim Crow laws, Affirmative Action slavery and blaming the Republicans for every inequality that they themselves have created through unions, bribes and gerrymandering voting districts. Congressional voting records are readily available to one and all but it is just so much simpler to delude yourselves, isn t it? Read the records and tell us all the truth. Like Martin Luther King did. He was a great Republican and a truly spiritual man. God bless his memory!

found this at snopes:

A commonly circulated item about Martin Luther King which is not included in this list is the claim that King was a Republican. Such claims are based purely on speculation; King himself never expressed an affiliation with, nor endorsed candidates for, any political party, and his son, Martin Luther King III, said: "It is disingenuous to imply that my father was a Republican. He never endorsed any presidential candidate, and there is certainly no evidence that he ever even voted for a Republican."

Read more at http://www.snopes.com/history/american/mlking.asp#...

• GerreH3 years agoReport

Everything out of Snopes is a George Soros lie. King was a Republican.

• Mary

Republican, of course. Historically the Republican Party had been anti-slavery, and was anti-segregation in MLK's time. Historically the Democratic Party had been pro-slavery, and Democrats were the guardians of compulsory segregation. After the Civil Rights Movement, Democrats accepted integration and began finding ways to woo the new voters.

Ok he was a republican, so when did Jesse Jackson become a Democrat

I think he was republican because Lincoln was a republican and the south hated the north for the War between the States. This would explain why the republicans carried the Civil Rights bill and democrats like Al Gore Sr. voted against it.

Dr. King was nonpartisan.