Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceOther - Social Science · 1 decade ago

do you think the media is destroying the self confidence and self respect of teenage girls?

school project... give me also.. arguments that could refute(go against) my thesis?

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

YES

media = consumer media

its all about the money

to get the consumer society to buy more goods, you need to find and CREATE needs and then fulfill them.

the media focuses on scaring people senseless so that they will buy more, and making people believe they are not worthy or deserving unless they have something.

check out ads. they all focus on the 7 deadly sins:P in some way or another that is.

then check our entertainment media. its all about airbrushing, unrealistic weights and measurements, perfection. we're all imperfect adn the media focuses on perfection. what a way to destroy self confidence.

it also teaches women how to behave. how is a girl who lives in the simulacra of the media, able to know that what hse ses on tv isnt real? thats its dramatized? then, she goes out and starts having sex at much earlier ages then she normally would have, because it becomes normal.

there are however some businesses that aim to present themselves as pro-individuality and pro imperfection. check out the dove ad, that focuses on beauty no matter what age, shape, size. etc. how ever its still a marketing ploy.

i also think it destroys the ingrained or personal self respect of people. if some elements of the media try to empower women or give them confidence, they do so in a way that progras their confidence..taking away what they were naturally confident with and replacing it with their own confidence.

media is a big brain washing money making organisation.

also, sorry to say this, but lets not forget, that the media is still a primarliy male based machine.

ever since the beginning of time, women have been shown as inferior to men in every possible way..except of course, child rearing. im not going to go into plenty of detail...but just take a look at the first media like story known to man...adam and eve...hrmm..whos the bad one? whos the one who screwed all humans by getting us all kicked out of the magical land of eden? it wasnt a man. hey, women came from a measly rib of the man. we're second. all u need ot do, is take a look at positions of women in the media. who are the women, who are the men? women are prettty little news reporters. men? you will fidn the majority of important places are taken by men..head chefs, tv show hosts(unless the woman is particularly attractive), any form of intellectual program. heroes in films? who is it often?male or female? whos the one to be rescued? how often does a woman rescue a man? how many tv show bosses are women? the media is just another way of keeping men above women.

and we pay for it.

these are just questions to consider. of course there are always exceptions.. devil wears prada, catwoman, etc....but most of these too involve women and beauty tied in one.

so, we're nothing if not beautiful.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

Media is the plural form of medium,and it refers to the differnt ways by which we communicate in the society.It ranges from Public meetings to E-mails to programs we watch on T.V.

Yes and no.Firstly abt destroying self-confidence and self-respect,yes,as it has portrayed how a teenage girl should be,how they should act to get media attention.How the media pampers and dogs girls who are in for DUI and such.They show that you will get attention by doing this and that.Most of the time ,They prejudice against all teen girls as one.They label girls who are above 75 pounds as obese.They criticize the way they live their lives and also how they speak,they give huge emphasis to any minute and accidental mistakes.They show girls in compromising positions.They give opinions on things when it is unasked.

On the other hand,media also shows teen girls how to cope with important things,like in movies ,serials etc.The media condemns offenses and also tells not to repeat mistakes and once made learn from them.They show how to dress if you are unsure.They provide information on the recent global concerns to teens who are otherwise glued to MTV.

Not much help,but maybe good enough.

• 1 decade ago

Absolutely

The media makes young girls think they should all be thin and physically beautiful. When really girls should be striving to be healthy, and with a self-respecting moral stance.

That's all I'm giving you, you will have to do the work for this project. (hint: it's up to parents or caregivers of young girls to make them realize that the media is biased)

• 1 decade ago

Well I think these teenage girls have issues with themselves if the media is destroying their self confidence and respect. It never even bothered me when I was a teenager. . .

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Yes, I'm not sure I can give you an argument against it, it's all about the ratings to them, and covering an issue like poverty in the U.S. brings in less ratings than when they have full coverage of a certain celebrity being wheeled away from her home in four point restraints. Sad isn't it?

• Purr..
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

self confidence, yes. self respect, not sure.

Many media showing a "perfect girl" must be slim, big eyes, big lips, etc.

Most teenage girl will compare themself to media. You can ask how many people are not comfortable with themself, and where/when they find they a bit less than perfect?

• 1 decade ago

honestly... your right on the dot there, its a common belief of the older generations, and i am only 22 and i find a lot of things wrong with teen girls and media...

most of the rebuttals against your thesis will come from teen girls or horny teen guys

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Very much so.

They set such a high standard for beauty, it seems impossible to reach.

Me, I'd much rather have a down to earth girl rather than some cake faced twig.

Source(s): My noggin :D
  • 1 decade ago

yeah i do, it give people this stupid 'perfect' image that isnt even real and gives them way in which to make themselves 'better' but they just hurt their confidence and make you feel worse.

on the other hand you could say that the media gives girls a chance to make themselves whoever they want to be and change their image to feel comforatble, it gives role models and shows different women in diferent ways.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Well the media shows teenage girl's idols in bad publicity e.g Amy Winehouse and Lindsay Lohan.

but they also show teenage girls should do what they want.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.