Kirk asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Martial arts - Tae kwon do?

So I am asking this question because I will join soon, except that I don't know which one I should join. I have the wtf or itf.?

wtf: is taught by a 9th dan grandmaster who has been teaching since 1977 and he has been in TKD since he was 12. (he's probably like 70 now)

itf: is taught by an 8th dan grandmaster who has more than 35 years of experience and has had several years of training with General Choi Hong Hi. (the supposed founder of TKD)

I used to train in wtf as a kid and I liked it, especially when it came to sparring but I also liked there overall methods. However, I am a little bit curious about itf as they say its more of a martial art than a sport. I pretty much know the differences or know of them with regards to the patterns and sparring styles but what would you recommend?

I am pretty athletic so I can get accustomed to either.

If you are wondering, I just want to join for the love of the sport/art, and to have something that keeps me active.

Favorite Answer

The WTF is the only TKD federation recognized by the South Korean government and the IOC (International Olympic Committee).

There are not as many difference in technique as some would have you believe.

The major difference is the required forms (poomse) for promotion. The WTF requires knowledge of the "Taeguk" or "Palgwe" set of poomse, while the ITF requires the ITF Tuls (Sine Wave).

The sport aspect also has slightly different sparring rules.

Those that say WTF is exclusively sport, or mostly sport, are wrong. Most WTF schools have a self defense curriculum, punching defense, 1 step sparring, etc.

The actual stances, kicks and punches are very similar.

I have done both. Maybe you can do 1 month at each place and decide which gym you like better.

Good luck.

James

Well, on the one hand you have a master with a superior grade and about a lifetime of martial arts practice. On the other hand, you have a master that is one grade lower than the previous master and with less years of practice, but that has invaluable experience with the founder of modern Tae Kwon Do and that is only slightly inferior to the master with more years of experience. this is quite the dilemma. here`s a thought: go to both, feel them out individually and note each one of they`re Strong points and weak points and calculate which one has more strong points and less weak points and make the decision for yourself. Personally, I would go to both if I had the opportunity, but if I had to choose, I would pick the 8th danu master. Students who learn directly under the founder will most likely understand the true value of the martial art, because it will not be filtered by another master who might have only partially understood the meaning of the founder`s teachings. Salve!

I personally prefer ITF, as WTF is more sport orientated. I'd choose the Master who'd trained with General Choi, as he probably has better knowledge of the art.

It doesn't really matter which one you train with, so long as the training is good quality. I'd spend time with both, and then continue to train with the one you prefer. Good luck.

Edit - Just a thought, but what is the name of the Master who trained with General Choi? In the ITF, most practitioners recognize Masters, so I might be able to tell you more about them if I recognize their name.

Source(s): ITF taekwondo practitioner

I'm familiar with both styles and I can say they aren't that different other than the patterns, and a few techniques.

Since you already started WTF it might be a good idea to continue that. Then again, ITF is a lot more traditional, which is a plus for some people.

I personally prefer ITF, but whatever you chose to do, is fine.

Depending on your age, trying and getting on a wrestling team. I wrestled for 10 years before starting TKD (I coach wrestling). Wrestling will teach the basics of throws and some joint locks (depending on what style). I also use my wrestling combine with my TKD in self-defense.

It doesn't really matter, I would get to know both Kwan Jang Nims(Masters) and see which one you like more on a personal level.

Eye Tea Eff.

My husband was in wtf as a kid and has recently gone back and says it has changed A LOT as far as what they are allowed to do when sparring

i think ITF

WTF is the one they se in the olympics i think and i dont think you use your hands in that.

i heard ITF was also alot safer, wtf has more contact.

and ITF is the majority of the world.

xx