Randy N asked in Politics & GovernmentElections · 1 decade ago

College students for Obama only please--why are you voting for him?

I would like intelligent,concise answers, giving specifics, without McCain or Palin bashing.Consider the following internal observations and questions. Most of you don't own homes so you don't have to worry about capital gains or mortgages yet, but your parents do, and you eventually will too. Most of you dont work full time so you dont have to worry about taxes and tax credits yet, but your parents do. I suspect most of you have not read Barracks two books, but were you aware of his frequent racist use of the word "whitey" and his open profession of his socialistic/communist views? Why would you consider voting for a man who embraces communism/socialism, a value system that opposes everything that this Country was built on and made it great ? Are you aware of Barracks relationship with ACORN, an organization currently under indictment for voter fraud ? Are you aware of his association with long time friend, and terrorist bomber Bill Ayres, who to this day is unrepentent? Don't these things raise flags in your minds ? How can you vote against your Country ?Please explain and thank you.

Christine M: to begin with, I am retired U S Army Special Forces. I know very well what communism and socialism are. I picked up a weapon and fought it for 21 years, being shot twice and stabbed once. It is you who does not know the hallmarks of socialism. Barracks earliest mentor was Sol Lensky, an avowed communist. Barracks books, in his own words profess his socialist ideology. Distribution of wealth is socialism at its best ! Further, if you bothered to read the news, they found 20 tons of yellowcake uranium in Iraq last year, and just recently shipped it to Canada . Do you know what yellowcake is ? It's used to make nuclear weapons ! They also used bio weapons (another WMD) on the kurds in northern Iraq. You simply are ignorant of the facts. Look them up.

Tickled Blue: I cared enough about my Country to wear the uniform for 21 years. What have you done ? John McCain has supported the military more than anyone I know.

Tickled Blue: The bills McCain voted against for the military, if you would just do your research, were LOADED with pork barrell earmarks, and thus earned a 'no' vote from McCain. There is a reason McCain has support of about 98% of the military including

over 390 admirals and generals who have signed a statement in support of him. Did you even know that ? Look it up.

LV Consultant; Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great were both poor students. I suppose they were failures too ? A person's GPA is not a measure of how successful they will be in the real world. Ever heard of Bill Gates ? Georg Washington maybe ? All poor students who were or are great leaders.

Crimea: You are so wrong on so many things. Go to the National Archives and look these things up. They are FACTS, not some crap you hear from the Obama campaign. MCCain voted against several veterans bills because they were loaded with earmark spending and he was not willing to compromise his position to allow this excess spending. Look it up.PLEASE . On taxes, Obama cannot give 95% of Americans a tax break, It's IMPOSSIBLE! Why ? Because 43% of Americans pay no taxes, then the top 10% pay 80% of the taxes that get paid. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the rest does it ?Even the General Accounting Office has said this 95% crap is just that....crap ! Also on taxes, with the top 10% already paying 80% of the taxes, if you tax them more, they will cut jobs, reduce spending, and many will move overseas. All of which leaves regular middle class Americans without jobs AND income. Tax breaks to those same corporations encourages building and adding jobs! Get it ???? Simple really.

CRIMEA: Obama's foreign policy is extremely dangerous ! Let me educate you . 2000 years ago, Julius Caesar said "that a Country is only as safe as its army is strong". It was true then and its true now. Barrack Obama has vowed to cut 10 Billion dollars from the defense budget, slow or reduce the development of new weapons systems and halt funding for the war on terror in Iraq. Osama Bin Laden himself said in an edict that a new muslim califate would be established all over the world, and Baghdad would be its capital. Now the last time I looked, that was in Iraq !! You can't negotiate with terrorists. Jimmy Carter tried that in 1979 and what happened ? We had a fiasco that lasted over a year ! It took Ronald Reagan threatening to turn Iran into a burnt out cinder that in two days got those hostages freed. The more capable you are of destroying without question anybody that would challenge you, the safer you are. While Obama's talking, his enemies are better arming themselves. Foolish !!

Lv Consultatnt;' Typical liberal jibberish. It was you that said a C average wasn't acceptable and so I wanted to point out that grades aren't everything. Thanks for making my point with Bill Gates ! Washington wasn't a bad military commander at all as you say. History has shown that his battle plans were quite well conceived and that it was in fact Washington who slipped under British lines to capture Cornwalis at Yorktown ! No small feat !!

• Adoc
    Favorite Answer

I'm a senior in college and I am NOT voting for Obama. Why? Because I have yet to lose my mind. So many people around me at school support him, but NO ONE, and I mean literally no one, can ever explain why. Their reasons are as vague and ridiculous as Obama's speeches.

To Christine : Haha your answer made me laugh. You came across as very ignorant and it doesn't seem like you know what you're talking about. "Ministration" ? Although I know that it is a word, I believe you were searching for "administration." Seems like you're the one that needs to spend more time in high school, especially since I doubt you're going to get into college with that grammar problem you've got going on there.

Actually, in a way... it IS a good thing that the college students are among Obama's strongest supporters. Do you know why? Because according to the 2006 US Census... only 9.9% of the US population is age 18 through 24. And only a fraction of those young people are actually attending college. So, essentially, the youth of America are vastly outnumbered by older voters... which I find to be a source of great comfort during this election process. So, let them have their time in the sun to worship their latest rock-star, Obama; let them take a little more time to grow up, try working for a living, discover the joys of paying taxes...and while they are busy doing that, the rest of us (the majority) can be picking out the best next president of the US. I feel confident that will not be Obama.

I'm voting for him because I trust his Obama more then McCain with the economy. Just a few weeks ago McCain said the Economy was fundamentally strong, now banks are failing and we are giving 700 billion to bail them out. Soon I'll be out of college I rather not have to work at foot locker because the economy is poor and a lot of people are either unemployed or overqualified. That was the problem with the last ministration, we had a guy who was so out of touch with what was really happening. Claiming certain people had WMD, and that we were gonna shock and awe. Six years later we havn't found ANY WMD the only shock and awe we did was to the rest of the world.

It doesnt matter if I don't pay as much taxes, or own any house yet. We all have to think of our future, and It already very sad to me to see the country the way it.

He is not a communist or a socialist, I know its been a long time since you been to H.S but you really need to check out what a communist and a socialist is.

There is also a lot very important reasons why I'm voting Obama / biden but I don't feel like typing a 3 page response to someone who wont change his mind anyway.

It figures, you get the same old uneducated answers we've all come to expect from college Liberals. I am in college and I am embarrassed to say some of my friends are for Obama and they can not name one solid reason why in regards to issues, that they are voting for him. It's always bashing McCain. I guess they are voting Obama because they want to vote against Republicans, but little do they know Obama is going to take this country down a worse path than any Republican could ever do.

If Obama is elected, I give it 6 months before everyone rescinds their votes in outrage that they didn't get what they thought they were getting.

I'll take the Harvard and Syracuse law graduates over the guy that graduated 5th from the bottom of his class at the academy and the woman that barely got her degree in journalism any day of the week. C students have no business running this country. leaders of our country should be much more intelligent than the "average joe"

Edit:

George Washington didn't even want to be president which is why he returned home after his first term. He was a horrible military leader his military victories were only very successful treats from various battles, that's how he made is name. Bill Gates is a genius but formal education wasn't suited for him but he excelled at writing software. both Julius Caesar and Alexander the Great excelled at military strategy. McCain and Palin excel at nothing

because matt damon[said in a retarded voice] and all these 'celebs' tell them to. they see all these black celebs like will i am who are just gonna get a nice sweetheart check in the mail and all the others. and were is it going to come from the taxpayers.

Source(s): im barack obama and i tried to censor this message

I have been asking the same question for months and yet to get a good answer. I have heard, though, that he supports abortion which is good for college students! Oh yeah...and he is "for change" whatever that means. Ra ra!

Taxes:

McCain's tax cuts will benefit everyone, but will benefit the wealthiest the most. Obama will increase taxes on anyone making over $250,000 a year, but increase tax cuts for the middle and lower class- sognificantly more so than McCain would. All those campaign ads about how Obama would raise taxes for EVERYBODY? Lies, and McCain insists on continuing to run them. Both tax cuts will lead to large increases in the national debt, but Obama less so than McCain.

Veteran's Issues:

McCain, despite being a vet himself, has a much poorer voting record on veteran's issues than Obama. Not everyone can be the son and grandson of admirals and marry a beer heiress. (source: Project VoteSmart).

Women's Issues:

McCain did not support an equal pay for equal work bill. Obama did. McCain has also shifted right to support overturning Roe v. Wade. Obama does not support overturning Roe v. Wade. I support a woman's right to choose. Therefore, I support Obama.

Energy:

McCain's all of the above energy policy? So far just seems to be increased drilling. McCain and Obama’s positions on energy are not too different. Both support clean coal, both support increased nuclear, and both support more clean technology and renewable and alternative sources of energy. Yet, Obama is the candidate who has come out in support of a bipartisan energy plan that would allow for some coastal states to have the option to drill while also repealing tax breaks for oil companies, creating a “broad package of tax credits for renewable energy”, and ramp up the investment in cleaner-burning vehicles and coal-to-liquid fueled plants. McCain, on the other hand, is coyly “waiting to see legislative language before taking a position.”

Drilling won’t solve every problem, but it may solve even less than you think. The Energy Information Administration’s analysis says the expansion of offshore drilling in the lower 48 (note: that does exclude Alaska) will not have any significant effect on the amount of oil on the market. The US Department of Mineral Management estimates that 86 billion barrels of oil remain undiscovered offshore, of that, 79% is estimated to be in areas where there are no restrictions on drilling. The remaining 21% estimated to be off limits would constitute 18 billion barrels of oil, 2.4 years worth at current American consumption rates. (Note: US Dept of Mineral Mgmt’s estimate includes Alaska.)

There is nothing to ensure that the 2.4 years worth of oil would even remain in America to be used. According to a UK Reuters analysis: “A record 1.6 million barrels a day in U.S. refined petroleum products were exported during the first four months of this year, up 33 percent from 1.2 million barrels a day over the same period in 2007. Shipments this February topped 1.8 million barrels a day for the first time during any month, according to final numbers from the Energy Department.

The surge in exports appears to contradict the pleas from the U.S. oil industry and the Bush administration for Congress to open more offshore waters and Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge to drilling.”

Europeans pay much more for oil than Americans do, so, sensibly, American oil companies want to export oil to Europe. But it does not make sense for America to encourage an environmentally dangerous practice that will take years to fully implement and will result in very limited benefits.

Obama is the candidate most willing to work towards compromise on this very important issue, and, to me, also has the more comprehensive energy plan.

Also, McCain has come out as being the much stronger advocate for nuclear power. That's great; I like nuclear. However, this fiscal conservative neglects to mention that nuclear power plants cost ten billion dollars each. The total money he could expecto save a year from cutting out all earmarks (not really a smart idea, see here: http://www.slate.com/id/2199757/) 16 billion a year. Yeah. That's gonna work. Note also that the president does not have, and McCain would be unlikely to get, the line item veto necessary to carving out every earmark in the budget. The Supreme Court ruled a presidential line item veto unconstitutonal in 1998, and, unless McCain truly intends to completely gridlock Washington and further expand the already overexpanded powers of the executive, he's not gonna follow through on all his earmark reform rhetoric.

Obama also has the more intelligent foreign policy and education plans. He also picked a veep that could actually do the job, unlike McCain whose Palin pick was extremely cynical and dangerous. I also supprt Obama's position on gay rights and civil rights. McCain has also increasingly shown himself to be a liar and an opportunist- even for a politician. Unfortunately, there seems to be a character limit. So I can't talk about all that.

• Derek

Because I would like better healthcare, my taxes to stay low, and an end to the war in Iraq.

Quit ranting. Obviously a GOP smearer could care less about why people are voting for Obama. If you TRULY cared about our country, you would ask yourself WHY YOU are voting for McCain....

He doesn't support our Military and our Veterans and he is JUST LIKE BUSH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uThoBMfcFRc

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.aflcio.org/issues/politics/mccain_vets....